Arduino shield v.1

with my project involving an Arduino shield v.1, it has uploaded properly, but the motors don't work, maybe because of the manner in which I cut the vin line in the shield. How should it be done?

Some more details pls: - Arduino shield v1 -> could be almost anything, pls specify what shield exactly - post the wiring of the whole project incl. arduino, shield, motors, power supply

here is what it looks like. How does the cut need to be done?

vin connect.jpg

Sorry, but without more information about the context I cannot help. Pls post the WHOLE configuration and tell us, what you intend by cutting the connection.

rpt007: Sorry, but without more information about the context I cannot help. Pls post the WHOLE configuration and tell us, what you intend by cutting the connection.

Cutting the VIn allows the Arduino uno and 2 motors to run off separate supplies, hence why I have to do it. The thing I am building involves 2 motors connected to the basic uno motor shield (with 2 motor ports)

again, my last try:

  • pls specify exactly what kind of shield are you talking about

In your first post you a re talking about Arduino shield v.1. So there are shields for Arduino: ethernet, motor, all kind of adpaters, sensors etc.

I am pretty sure (but this has not yet been confirmed precisely), that we are talking about a motor shield. There are motor shields from adafruit, from seedstudio etc.

There are motor shields for stepper, dc motors, servos and combinations of it. It you want to be supported, pls be so kind and help with the required information what exactly you have: is it an adfruit stepper motor shield v1 or what else?

You want to cut something on this shield - this has to be done precisely, so why are you hesitating in providing the exact information for the shield to be cut?

The machine with the Arduino plugged in looks like this. However, maybe because the cut in the vin line isn’t deep enough, it doesn’t move even when the programme works.

Did you measure the resistance where you cut?
If it is still around zero Ohms, you didn’t cut deep enough; if you measure a value, let’s say, more than 10 Ohms (I have no idea how the circuit looks like left and right from the cut, therefor I can’t predict what you will measure instead of a shortcut, when the pins are still connected), then the cut might be deep enough to separate the copper path.

If your problem still exists after the cut was made - then you definitely have another issue and that’s why I asked for some more precise information which still are not available. Pls don’t assume that I will spend the time here in searching the internet by comparing your picture with potential shields. It could be so much easier if you would provide the required information just on the point. A simple datasheet or link to the shield information could do.