I found a previous post about this here but haven’t been able to solve my own problem.
I built a Hyperion Ambilight following a guide on the MediaPortal forums found here.
I have never worked with AC so I followed the instructions about how to wire the PSU using the guide on this page.
All went well actually. My LEDs are working, got the colors calibrated etc. Life is good!..until I started to put everything together into a case. When I touched the Arduino I got a mild shock from the USB port cover. I thought at first it was from the PSU case since I read that if the ground and neutral are mixed up that it may electrify the case but I already made this mistake before and fried the previous PSU by mixing those up. I got a multi-meter and got no reading on the PSU case. Touched the PSU case and no shock. I thought maybe it had been a static discharge which worried me more thinking I might have fried the Arduino. I went to remove the USB cable from the Arduino and I got shocked again. It’s not a large voltage, mostly just annoying but contant. The fact that it is there concerns me that something is not right and it might ruin the whole setup, particularly the Raspberry Pi since it is connected to the Arduino, if I don’t figure it out.
I have another simpler Adalight LED setup on my PC that only uses the Arduino and I checked that one and it was fine. I’m including a crude sketch of the connections to see if anyone can tell me what I may have done wrong. I know it might be a bad PSU as mentioned in the other post where someone had a similar issue but I want to make sure that might be the case before buying another only to find out that had nothing to do with the issue.
I am a complete amateur to electronics so I in this particular case I don’t know exactly what to look for aside from double checking my connections.