Arduino simple mobile communication solution

Are there any shields that allow one arduino to communicate with another arduino from hundreds of miles away, both being mobile and not hard wired to the internet. Maybe a GSM shield or something? So far with gsm shields I have only found ones that send sms messages. This is an unreliable and slow method of communication. I am looking for very fast communication. Like if one arduino could act as a web server, waiting for a request. The other arduino would then send it's request when it needed to.

According to http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/GSM:

GSMServer includes implementations for a server, similar to the Ethernet and WiFi libraries. NB : A number of network operators do not allow for incoming connections from the public internet, but will allow them from inside their own. Check with your operator to see what restrictions there are on data use.

Is there any reason why you have 3 separate threads on the subject on the front page alone?

I post and bump a bunch and get zero replies. I am trying to get some answers and it seems like nobody has a gsm shield and wants to help me out.

And yes, I have actually read that already and researched to find providers who do allow this. I also posted about this asking how I could figure out which service provider will allow me to have outside connections so that I can use it as a web server. No replies.

durkinnj: I post and bump a bunch and get zero replies. I am trying to get some answers and it seems like nobody has a gsm shield and wants to help me out.

And yes, I have actually read that already and researched to find providers who do allow this. I also posted about this asking how I could figure out which service provider will allow me to have outside connections so that I can use it as a web server. No replies.

So you make a brand new thread with so little information and we have to play 20 questions to find out what you've already done/researched/tried?

I don't really need to provide much information for someone to realize, "Hey, here is somebody trying to host a webserver with the gsm shield. Let me share with them how I did it, the problems I ran into..." etc.

durkinnj: I don't really need to provide much information for someone to realize, "Hey, here is somebody trying to host a webserver with the gsm shield. Let me share with them how I did it, the problems I ran into..." etc.

So you don't want help, you want someone to give you a ready-made solution that they've already got working? Perhaps you could have just said that in your original post?

I don't need a ready made solution. Any guidance is appreciated.

For example, I posted here (http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=180966.0) with a lot of information about my project and didn't really get any help or solid suggestions.

And I basically did do what you said here (http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=180958.0). I asked if anyone has been able to get a gsm web server. No replies. So nobody has done this?

Both of these two posts reached dead ends (http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=127342.15 and http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=180392.0).

So if you really look into it, they aren't useless repeat posts. I am approaching it from different angles trying to get responses from somebody, anybody that has had experience with this and wants to shed a little light on the situation.

I don't need a ready made solution. Any guidance is appreciated.

That attitude doesn't really jive with this post:

I don't really need to provide much information for someone to realize, "Hey, here is somebody trying to host a webserver with the gsm shield. Let me share with them how I did it, the problems I ran into..." etc.

So decide if you want a ready-made solution (it doesn't sound like anybody has one) or guidance getting it done yourself. If you're OK with the latter, then it's best to post everything in a single post, and not make somebody look through 6 different threads to know what you've already tried and what issues you ran into with those approaches. Perhaps a solution can be seen as a combination of those approaches.

Now onto your issue: One of your threads indicates that the scenario you're trying to solve would be to have two devices, both with Arduinos and GSM shields communicating with each other. Another thread indicates the problem you are having is that you can get the GSM server example to work (get an IP at least), but can't access it from outside their network. That requirement doesn't seem to be necessary with the aforementioned scenario. What's the issue with having two mobile devices with two Arduinos/GSM shields communicating with each other on the service provider's private network?

I appreciate your posts and your help. It seems like you are right. Since nobody that is active on this forum is replying, I have to figure this out on my own. The first post about not getting it to work outside of the network was my first attempt at getting the web server to work. I tried with two different networks, each one had an IP address that was inaccessible from a computer. I then thought of the workaround with the two arduinos and gsm shields on the private network and have not tested this yet. I have to order another shield with a sim to do this.

The plan is to have the arduino read the get request and pull the path off of the url. So it would see 192.168.10.10/pin5on and read the path /pin5on and figure out what it needs to do from there. It then displays the same page every time which is just some data that the other arduino sending the commands can read to see which pins are on or off. Again, I have to order a new shield to start working with this. Thanks again for the help and kind words.