arduino SPI - multiple slave connection question

Hi all!

I’m about to connect multiple SPI slave modules to an arduino UNO, and came across some information on the internet about connecting multiple SPI slaves.

The information comes from : …click here…

And the particular piece of information that appears to make no sense to me is contained in this image below :

SPI_multipleslaves.jpg

It says: “Note that, for this layout, data overflows from one slave to the next, so to send data to any one slave, you’ll need to transmit enough data to reach all of them. Also, keep in mind that the first piece of data you transmit will end up in the last slave.

Can anybody actually understand what the above means? In particular “you’ll need to transmit enough data to reach all of them”. And “the first piece of data you transmit will end up in the last slave”.

Thanks all! Thanks in advance.

Are your devices designed to be daisy-chained? If not, you must use a separate SS line as in example 1.

SurferTim:
Are your devices designed to be daisy-chained? If not, you must use a separate SS line as in example 1.

Thanks surfertim. I don't think my devices are designed to be daisy-chained, but was trying to understand what they actually mean with their information associated with the daisy-chained system. Thanks again!