arduino tachometer

First I could not find any topic on this, if there is I am sorry

Now, I have a outboard on my boat for which I want to make a tachometer (rpm meter) using an arduino, I would use 3 8-segment displays to write out the rpm of the motor, the writing part is not the issue, the thing I have no idea how to do is the rpm read out, the motor has a tach out wire which gives out 6 low current pulses for each rotation, and since the motor spins to a max of about 6000 rpm times 6 pulses it comes down to 36000 pulses a minute od 600 pulses a second which is really fast , so I would need a code to count the number of pulses in one second, divide by 6 and multiple by 60, (the divide and multiply part I know how to do)

so what would the counting code look like, and also is the arduino precise and fast enough for the 600 pulses a second ?

so what would the counting code look like, and also is the arduino precise and fast enough for the 600 pulses a second ?

There's lots of examples ... search for RPM, flow, speedometer, frequency, etc. Using an interrupt pin, a 16MHz Arduino could count and time-stamp your pulses to within about ±4µs with input rates up to about 60,000 Hz (3,600,000 RPM).