Arduino Testbed for testing watches.

Hello all,

The company i work for needs a Testbed where we will test watches, but we have a limited budget(who doesn't, right?).
So, lemme explain a little more what we will be doing.

The handsetting feature of a mechanic watch wears when the hour is set, so we need a testbed of, lets say, 10 or 15 watches with the same number of motors turning at pretty precise speeds, so that we can set all the watches to handsetting, and leave them be for days or weeks or even months. This is why we need more or less precise turning speeds, so that one motor isn't turning 5% faster, and thus, the watch attached to that motor will get 5% more wear, which might give us bad results. Now, could these motors show resistance as well through arduino?(to show if a certain watch's handsetting is getting worn and so getting harder or easier to turn)

I'd also need easy access to data from these motors so that we can make beautiful graphs showing the wear in figures. The data needed would be time spent turning, number of turns and resistance(again, if this is possible).

Now, i know very little about Arduino, so my question is simple. Could my above scenario be realized with Arduino? Personally i'm a huge Open source fan(mostly software so far), so i'd love to be able to do this with Arduino, but basically i have no idea.

Have you heard of any such projects based on Arduino, i imagine some or most of the parts wouldnt be standard stuff, but the brain could always be Arduino, right?

Anyway, thank you for your time
/Rafgas

Can you describe to non watch savvy folks what such a system would do? Ignoring the arduino, how would your ideal testbed manipulate each watch?

Moving a mechanism a controlled distance/angle at defined intervals, and measuring the mechanical resistance to that movement, would be within the capabilities of an Arduino with the appropriate sensors and actuators. You probably wouldn't want to rely on the Arduino to timestamp or log the data, but it would be feasible to connect an arbitrarily big number of these devices to a PC via USB hubs and have the PC do the logging. If this is for long term use you would probably want to write an application on the PC to monitor the set of Arduinos plugged in and start/stop logging for each one as they were connected/disconnected.

If I were you I'd log the data to a local relational database - that enables a wide variety of reporting/display methods and keeps that aspect decoupled from the basic data acquisition mechanism.

Thanks for the input PeterH,

We are going to look deeper into it after X-mas. Hopefully i can guide them onto the Arduino way :stuck_out_tongue: