Arduino Thermostat

I’ve been trying to build a thermostat found here:
https://www.barnesian.com/arduino-powered-smart-fan-controller/

I have built the thermostat but the code is outdated. Could someone update the code for me for arduino create… Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum. http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html then look down to item #7 about how to post your code. It will be formatted in a scrolling window that makes it easier to read.

Post the code you are having problems with, please.

Tom.... :)

Here is the code:

/* * Chris Barnes, Smart Fan Controller with PID * Notes: Fan will not kick in at any value under 90, noise stops around 240 * * The MIT License (MIT) * Copyright (c) 2014 Chris Barnes * Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy * of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal * in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights * to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell * copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is * furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions: * * The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all * copies or substantial portions of the Software. * * THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR * IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, * FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE * AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER * LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, * OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE * SOFTWARE. */

include "LiquidCrystal.h"

include "OneWire.h"

include "DallasTemperature.h"

include "PID_v1.h"

//Definitions

define FAN 9 // Output pin for fan

define ONE_WIRE_BUS 8 // Temperature Input is on Pin 2

define click 3 //Rotary Encoder Click

define encoder0PinA 2 //Rotary Encoder Pin A

define encoder0PinB 4 //Rotary Encoder Pin B

define CRITICAL 50.00 //Critical temperature to ignore PID and turn on fans

volatile unsigned int encoder0Pos = 0; //Encoder value for ISR

LiquidCrystal lcd(12, 11, 13, 5,6,7); //set up LCD

//Setup Temperature Sensor OneWire oneWire(ONE_WIRE_BUS); DallasTemperature sensors(&oneWire);

//Setup PID double Setpoint, Input, Output; //I/O for PID double aggKp=40, aggKi=2, aggKd=10; //original: aggKp=4, aggKi=0.2, aggKd=1, Aggressive Turning,50,20,20 double consKp=20, consKi=1, consKd=5; //original consKp=1, consKi=0.05, consKd=0.25, Conservative Turning,20,10,10 PID myPID(&Input, &Output, &Setpoint, consKp, consKi, consKd, REVERSE); //Initialize PID

//interface int timeCounter; void setup() { // start serial port for temperature readings Serial.begin(9600); Serial.println("Start");

//Temperature Setup sensors.begin(); //Start Library sensors.requestTemperatures(); // Send the command to get temperatures Input = sensors.getTempCByIndex(0); //Set Input to Current Temperature Setpoint = 28; //Inintialize desired Temperature in Deg C encoder0Pos=28;

//PID Setup myPID.SetMode(AUTOMATIC); //TCCR2B = TCCR2B & 0b11111000 | 0x01; //adjust the PWM Frequency, note: this changes timing like delay()

//Setup Pins pinMode(FAN, OUTPUT); // Output for fan speed, 0 to 255 pinMode(click, INPUT); // Click button is an input pinMode(encoder0PinA, INPUT); digitalWrite(encoder0PinA, HIGH); // Turn on pullup resistor pinMode(encoder0PinB, INPUT); digitalWrite(encoder0PinB, HIGH); // Turn on pullup resistor

//Set up Interupts attachInterrupt(1, clicked, RISING); // Click button on interrupt 1 - pin 3 attachInterrupt(0, doEncoder, CHANGE); // Encoder pin on interrupt 0 - pin 2

//interface timeCounter=0;

//Setup LCD 16x2 and display startup message lcd.begin(16, 2); lcd.print(" Smart Fan"); lcd.setCursor(0,1); lcd.print(" Starting Up"); delay(1000); lcd.clear(); } void loop() { timeCounter++;

//Get temperature and give it to the PID input sensors.requestTemperatures(); Input=sensors.getTempCByIndex(0);

//print out info to LCD lcd.setCursor(1,0); lcd.print("Temp:"); lcd.print((int)Input); lcd.setCursor(9,0); lcd.print("RPM:"); lcd.print((int)Output*4.7059); //Scaling factor calculated with a regression, read yellow wire for real RPM lcd.setCursor(1,1); lcd.print("Set:"); lcd.print((int)Setpoint);

//Compute PID value double gap = abs(Setpoint-Input); //distance away from setpoint if(gap<1) { //Close to Setpoint, be conservative myPID.SetTunings(consKp, consKi, consKd); } else { //Far from Setpoint, be aggresive myPID.SetTunings(aggKp, aggKi, aggKd); } myPID.Compute(); Serial.print(timeCounter); Serial.print(" "); Serial.print(Input); Serial.print(" "); Serial.println(Output); analogWrite(FAN,255); //Write PID output to fan if not critical if (Input

void doEncoder() { //pinA and pinB are both high or both low, spinning forward, otherwise it's spinning backwards if (digitalRead(encoder0PinA) == digitalRead(encoder0PinB)) { encoder0Pos++; } else { encoder0Pos--; } Serial.println (encoder0Pos, DEC); //Print out encoder value to Serial Setpoint=encoder0Pos; } void clicked() { //For interface lcd.clear(); lcd.print("clicked!"); //This is unused, but feel free to use the click for something using this interrupt delay(1000); }

Hi, Please read my post and edit how the code is posted. Thanks .. Tom... :) code tags.......

Sorry about that

/*
 * Chris Barnes, Smart Fan Controller with PID
 * Notes: Fan will not kick in at any value under 90, noise stops around 240
 * The MIT License (MIT)
 * Copyright (c) 2014 Chris Barnes
 * Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
 * of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal
 * in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
 * to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
 * copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
 * furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
 * The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all
 * copies or substantial portions of the Software.
 * THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
 * IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
 * FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
 * AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
 * LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
 * OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE
 * SOFTWARE.
 */

#include "LiquidCrystal.h"
#include "OneWire.h"
#include "DallasTemperature.h"
#include "PID_v1.h"

//Definitions
#define FAN 9           // Output pin for fan
#define ONE_WIRE_BUS 8  // Temperature Input is on Pin 2
#define click 3         //Rotary Encoder Click
#define encoder0PinA  2 //Rotary Encoder Pin A
#define encoder0PinB  4 //Rotary Encoder Pin B
#define CRITICAL 50.00  //Critical temperature to ignore PID and turn on fans

volatile unsigned int encoder0Pos = 0;  //Encoder value for ISR

LiquidCrystal lcd(12, 11, 13, 5,6,7);  //set up LCD

//Setup Temperature Sensor
OneWire oneWire(ONE_WIRE_BUS);
DallasTemperature sensors(&oneWire);

//Setup PID
double Setpoint, Input, Output;                                             //I/O for PID
double aggKp=40, aggKi=2, aggKd=10;                                         //original: aggKp=4, aggKi=0.2, aggKd=1, Aggressive Turning,50,20,20
double consKp=20, consKi=1, consKd=5;                                       //original consKp=1, consKi=0.05, consKd=0.25, Conservative Turning,20,10,10
PID myPID(&Input, &Output, &Setpoint, consKp, consKi, consKd, REVERSE);  //Initialize PID

//interface
int timeCounter;
void setup()
{ 
  // start serial port for temperature readings
  Serial.begin(9600);
  Serial.println("Start");

//Temperature Setup
  sensors.begin();                    //Start Library
  sensors.requestTemperatures();      // Send the command to get temperatures
  Input = sensors.getTempCByIndex(0); //Set Input to Current Temperature
  Setpoint = 28;                      //Inintialize desired Temperature in Deg C
  encoder0Pos=28;

//PID Setup
  myPID.SetMode(AUTOMATIC);
  //TCCR2B = TCCR2B & 0b11111000 | 0x01;  //adjust the PWM Frequency, note: this changes timing like delay()

//Setup Pins
  pinMode(FAN, OUTPUT);                   // Output for fan speed, 0 to 255
  pinMode(click, INPUT);                  // Click button is an input
  pinMode(encoder0PinA, INPUT);
  digitalWrite(encoder0PinA, HIGH);       // Turn on pullup resistor
  pinMode(encoder0PinB, INPUT);
  digitalWrite(encoder0PinB, HIGH);       // Turn on pullup resistor

//Set up Interupts
  attachInterrupt(1, clicked, RISING);    // Click button on interrupt 1 - pin 3
  attachInterrupt(0, doEncoder, CHANGE);  // Encoder pin on interrupt 0 - pin 2

//interface
  timeCounter=0;

//Setup LCD 16x2 and display startup message
  lcd.begin(16, 2);
  lcd.print("  Smart   Fan");
  lcd.setCursor(0,1);
  lcd.print("  Starting Up");
  delay(1000);
  lcd.clear();
}
void loop()
{
   timeCounter++;

//Get temperature and give it to the PID input
   sensors.requestTemperatures();
   Input=sensors.getTempCByIndex(0);

//print out info to LCD
  lcd.setCursor(1,0);
  lcd.print("Temp:");
  lcd.print((int)Input);
  lcd.setCursor(9,0);
  lcd.print("RPM:");
  lcd.print((int)Output*4.7059);    //Scaling factor calculated with a regression, read yellow wire for real RPM
  lcd.setCursor(1,1);
  lcd.print("Set:");
  lcd.print((int)Setpoint);

//Compute PID value
  double gap = abs(Setpoint-Input); //distance away from setpoint
  if(gap<1)
  { 
    //Close to Setpoint, be conservative
    myPID.SetTunings(consKp, consKi, consKd);
  }
  else
  {
     //Far from Setpoint, be aggresive
     myPID.SetTunings(aggKp, aggKi, aggKd);
  }
  myPID.Compute();
  Serial.print(timeCounter);
  Serial.print(" ");
  Serial.print(Input);
  Serial.print(" ");
  Serial.println(Output);
  analogWrite(FAN,255);
  //Write PID output to fan if not critical
  if (Input<CRITICAL)
    analogWrite(FAN,Output);
  else
    analogWrite(FAN,255);
}

void doEncoder()
{
  //pinA and pinB are both high or both low, spinning forward, otherwise it's spinning backwards
  if (digitalRead(encoder0PinA) == digitalRead(encoder0PinB))
  {
    encoder0Pos++;
  }
  else
  {
    encoder0Pos--;
  }
  Serial.println (encoder0Pos, DEC);  //Print out encoder value to Serial
  Setpoint=encoder0Pos;
}
void clicked()
{
  //For interface
  lcd.clear();
  lcd.print("clicked!");    //This is unused, but feel free to use the click for something using this interrupt
  delay(1000);
}

TomGeorge: Hi, Please read my post and edit how the code is posted. Thanks .. Tom... :) code tags.......

Clearly reading and following directions is not high on his list - just getting someone to do the work.

I am sorry if it may seem that way but I've never done arduino and would like some help thanks...

Hi, How do you mean the code is outdated, have you compiled and loaded it? What IDE version and what Arduino Controller Model?

Thanks.. Tom.. :confused:

What I mean by outdated is it is extremely old and doesn't work anymore. I have tried on the IDE 1.5.8 and also on ardunio create for an arduino uno. When I compile it it says amp is not declared in scope Along with many other errors...

Code dated 2014 is "extremely old"? You live in a fast moving world!

I see you still haven't read and [u]understood the directions[/u] in "How to use this forum".

Funny thing because the post is from 2011... but the copyright is from 2014... 5 years old is actually pretty old...

May I ask what part of the "how to use this forum" I wasn't following? Thanks :)

I have been trying this out for a few hours now and have not been able to understand this error message. ( Stated earlier ) Thanks

Along with many other errors…

Exactly WHAT other errors? Copy and paste, please, as per instructions.

“is not in scope” is a standard C language error message, which Google will readily explain.

However to spare you the typing, ONE of your problems is that you cut and pasted that code from an html web page, and got crap like this:

if(gap&lt;1)

which should be

if(gap < 1)

Laziness is its own reward.

Thanks it just clicked for me... &oneWire means: &oneWire (& means ampersand) Thank you very much!!