Arduino to control fireplace fan speed?

Hey guys, I have been searching for a way to do this and coming up empty handed. I have a gfk-160a fireplace blower. On it there is what looks like a volume control knob to control the fan speed. It has two wires on it. I'm guessing this is an analog potentiometer.

How could I build something digital to control the fan speed from my phone or from Alexa?

The problem I have now is that in order to change the fan speed I have to take the front of the fireplace off to get to the knob. Bad design.

Hopefully you guys can help

Thanks!

It's probably not an analog pot.

It's more likely a SCR type dimmer. You could look up "Arduino lamp dimmer" and find a lot of projects which may work.

I haven't looked up that part number to check if it will work on a standard dimmer. Your average ceiling fan has a different method of control.

There is a significant risk of death or burning down your house when you're playing with mains voltages. If this is your first project, I suggest that you buy a module which keeps you safely away from the mains wiring.

Thanks for the info. Was not even thinking that. When you say module what exactly are you taking about? If something is already built I would rather go that route.

Google has no results for "Arduino lamp dimmer"? Nobody selling modules to do that?

I would agree that the way the device is installed that it is a line voltage device.

one thing you can do, is to buy a second one, incase you burn out your first one.

get a servo that is strong enough to move it,
attach the servo and control the servo.

I highly suspect that the device is not meant for constant adjustment, but it may be a snap switch that has a pressure plunger so all you do is screw in a plunger that changes the distance and the knob/screw are not connected electrically in any way.

this approach means you never have to touch the electrical bits of the device.

==============

option #2) the sensor and the knob are combined for a restive loop and the rheostat and sensnor are sending a feed-back signal.

best to get out your multi-meter and figure out what you actually have before you start toying with the circuit.

best case is that it stops working. worst is that it shorts out the whole thing and you have to replace it all.

ultimately, once you really know the details, you can determine if you can control it or that it is best to leave it alone

Thanks! I'll get out the multimeter and figure out what it is.

Scl789:
Thanks! I'll get out the multimeter and figure out what it is.

Might be easier to determine the type of motor and research how to control the speed of that type. Then find a control that is Arduino compatible.

Paul

Well my multimeter broke. I’ll have to get a new one. Here is a wiring diagram of how it gets weird. Thinking it is line voltage at this point. Not sure if it’s something I want to touch anymore.

Scl789:
Well my multimeter broke. I'll have to get a new one. Here is a wiring diagram of how it gets weird. Thinking it is line voltage at this point. Not sure if it's something I want to touch anymore.

All is at line voltage. The speed control is likely a rheostat( variable resistor that can handle several amps). The temperature switch is a "Klixon" switch to turn on the fan when the temperature gets warm, and off when there is no fire.

An Arduino can control a relay to turn the fan on/off and a temperature sensor can be monitored by the Arduino so it on/off can do what the Klixon does now.

I don't know if there is anything to replace the rheostat.

Paul

Thanks everyone. I think we will leave the blower alone. I did get the fireplace to turn on and off with Alexa. That's good enough for now