Arduino to control two switches on an existing product

Hi all -

I would like to be able to have my Arduino project trigger two switches on an existing product/item that I own.

These are the two switches:

1. Switch #1
  2. Switch #2

Ultimately, my goal is to be able to trigger these two switches from my Android over Bluetooth/WiFi.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

The actual switch is irrelevant, what is important is what the switch carries when it is in the mistery product. Is it AC or DC? What voltage? What current? Is it referanced to ground?

Only knowing these things can your question get a sensible answer.

@Grumpy_Mike Thanks for your response.

Are these all things that I can test with a multimeter or how would I go about finding that out?

what is important is what the switch carries when it is in the mistery product

In principle though, I guess a relay of the right specification would do the trick. While you find the answers to G_M’s questions, have a look at this to see the kind of thing you may end up with.

Yes use a multi meter. Although you could guess from the nature of the product. Measure the voltage across the switch for a start.

@Grumpy_Mike - here is the "mystery product so let me know if that helps out at all... How would I go about measuring the voltage across the switch?

@JimboZA - thanks for that link! I haven't seen that but is definitely in-line with what I'm looking to do.

Wow $380 for a kettle with a spout on the top.

It is likely to be mains powered and the switches carrying mains voltages. If you ask:-

How would I go about measuring the voltage across the switch?

My advice would be that you don't know enough to do this project safely. You can cause explosions and fires by wiring up mains incorrectly. Given the device I would use a relay with a 10A 240V AC current rating, but would you know how to wire it up?

Grumpy_Mike: My advice would be that you don't know enough to do this project safely. You can cause explosions and fires by wiring up mains incorrectly. Given the device I would use a relay with a 10A 240V AC current rating, but would you know how to wire it up?

@Grumpy_Mike - You're probably right! I'm going to spend a few weeks learning a lot more of the basics about electronics and playing with simple projects before trying this one. Thanks for all your help. Definitely helped me figure out what I need to learn first.