Arduino to press a physical button

I'm planning a project in which the arduino will press a physical button. So far this sounds simple.
The twist is that I must keep this button available for the occasional manual press by a human.
Any ideas? Was this done before? Couldn't find anything relevant online.

DaveUnbound:
I'm planning a project in which the arduino will press a physical button. So far this sounds simple.
The twist is that I must keep this button available for the occasional manual press by a human.
Any ideas? Was this done before? Couldn't find anything relevant online.

It just depends on what constraints and what is allowed to be done. So you probably need to show what kind of button you want to press, and whether it is possible for the button to be wired or re-wired so that the arduino can simply do something like drive an electronic switch ---- which achieves the same effect as a button press.

once again more info needed.

Yes it is possible
Yes it has been done before

Install a servo with attachment to pus the button it will still be accessible for manual usage.

More info will give you better answers. Better even take a picture of the situation

Here's a picture of the button I need to press. The button's diameter is 20 millimeters, and it can be pushed about 2 millimeters in.

button.jpg

I am not at all interested in wiring the Arduino to the leads behind the buttons, both because it will void this device's warranty (expensive lab equipment) and because I want to be able to completely detach the Arduino from the device on occasion.

button.jpg

A servo should suffice - you'll need some mechanical arrangement to hold it still while something attached to the horn presses the button. That thing can then be retracted enough to allow a human finger to get access to the button.

O.P. You need to explain what the constraints are. Eg..... what is allowed to be done .... or not. Eg. allowed to mount some contraption by drilling holes in wall for mounting a mechanical device or structure..... etc. The people here aren't clairvoyant..... in general.

In the meantime I found this nice video of three interesting solutions:

The third one (minute 4:21) seems particularly good.

That switchbot thing has one obvious archilles heel...... it looks like it is battery powered. Also... should probably not rely on 'stick-on' devices..... which might fall off.... or even mark/damage our paint/wall etc.

Southpark:
... should probably not rely on 'stick-on' devices..... which might fall off.... or even mark/damage our paint/wall etc.

That's what Command Strips are for. They will loosen eventually, but it takes a long time. Just get a pack and start a replacement schedule.

dougp:
That's what command strips are for. They will loosen eventually, but it takes a long time. Just get a pack and start a replacement schedule.

Definitely worth a try! The main factors are weight of the item ..... which should be ok..... and resilience against the pushing force of the device (when it pushes the button)... which should be ok too when the device is properly set up.

Could you not use a two way switch for manual
Pressing and a relay running off the Arduino to form the other part of the two way circuit . That way you avoid mechanisms.

Or ..

Google “ useless machine” for some further ideas.

I used a simple transistor to drive a switch, however OP doens't wish to re-wire switch. It is indeed a problem IF the surface must be kept intact - maybe there is a glue product out there that releases from stainless steel. He could also use a linear actuator / solenoid...