Arduino turning off when I plug in 5v and GND pins

Hey. I first want to say that I'm quite new to Arduinos and the word of electronics and I would gladly appreciate a more elaborate explanation. Thanks!

I'm working on a robot arm, using multiple servos and potentiometers, and I ran into a problem. All my Pots, servos, breadboard, wires, arduino, etc are connected, and the code has successfully been uploaded. However, when I connect a wire from the GND pin to a - pin on the breadboard AND connect a wire from the 5V pin to a + pin on the breadboard, the Arduino turns off(the orange disappears).

Sounds like there's a short between the power rails on the breadboard or you're accidentally connecting them both to the same rail.

Or, if you have stuff on the breadboard, there's a short or something g that tries to draw more current than the board can supply

DrAzzy: Sounds like there's a short between the power rails on the breadboard or you're accidentally connecting them both to the same rail.

Or, if you have stuff on the breadboard, there's a short or something g that tries to draw more current than the board can supply

Yeah I was thinking that. Unfortunately, can you explain what a "short means?" Again, I'm very new to this.

(deleted)

spycatcher2k: A Short (Short Circuit) - Connecting the power (5V) direct to ground. Can you post a diagram of your wiring (Actual, not what you think is wired), and a close up, in focus image of the wiring.

Image link: https://postimg.org/image/ncuwwcb1d/

any help?

What are all those other wires going to the board connected to?

It looks like you have other components on the breadboard. However you have not told us any details of those parts, and we only know about them from the picture.

Unless your breadboard is defective, you have connected the other devices on the breadboard improperly, and Vcc and Gnd are shorted, or nearly-so (if you connect power to a device improperly, a near-short is not uncommon - this may damage the device. Fried chips may also present something very close to a short. )