Arduino ultrasonic bluetooth to Android bluetooth

Hello there,

I have a problem with dog doing their business in front of my doorstep. I wanted to use a security camera, but the police told me that I could get up to 2 months of jail if I used a security camera, because I am not allowed to record etc. etc. Nice government here in the Netherlands, leaving you literary struggling with dogs***.

So I thought, why not use a ultrasonic module to detect if something passes the gate to come and do their business in front of my doorstep in my front yard.

So basically what I am trying to do is:

Connecting the ultrasonic module, and transmitting the data to my laptop with Bluetooth is no problem, but I want it to transmit to my Android phone that gives me a notification alarm if someone passes the sensor.

Could someone help me with the Android alarm part, please?

Kind regards,

FYI, I have just bought a Seeed Studio Bluetooth shield (Google it) and it works pretty well with the Android.

p/s:
I would not say do not go ahead with your project as at least we all learn from doing it. But for that particular issue, wonder if you have tried dog repellent sprays or dog deterrents product?

Unictu:
But for that particular issue, wonder if you have tried dog repellent sprays or dog deterrents product?

Dog repellent products work for 24 hours till one week. I am not intending of spraying chemicals every day to one week because some dog owner does not have the brains to not let their dog do their thing in front of my door in my garden. I want to catch them and report them to the police.

That is strange. In Germany it is only a problem if the camera covers public ground. How do businesses do video surveillance in the Netherlands?

Regarding you project, I have the following concerns:

• What you seem to ask for is Android programming. Might be better to ask in a dedicated forum. Receiving a BT serial connection is in no way Arduino specific.
  • I doubt that bluetooh will have the range. I would consider buying one of these 433MHz transmitter/receiver things. A pair is <2$ on ebay.com. I got amazing results concerning the range: from a room on the opposite side of the house, and around 200m into the forrest, with just straight wires as antennas. Of course, you would need another Arduino as a receiver to sound the alert, but that would also solve your Android problem.
  • Instead of ultrasound, I would think about using a pyroelectric movement detector. HC-SR501 is <5$ (I don’t know that one, though).

ElCaron:
That is strange. In Germany it is only a problem if you the camera covers public ground. how do businesses to video surveillance in the Netherlands?

• Instead of ultrasound, I would think about using a photoelectric movement detector. HC-SR501 is <5$ (I don’t know that one, though).

These laws about security cameras are so strange and every part of the law is fighting with the other part. I think a child of 10 years old had to write the law for the government in the Netherlands.

Anyway, back to the question;
The motion detector is really better than the ultrasonic, I agree, but I do not want to detect people who are just walking passed the gate, but only between my gate and door. Can I adjust the motion detectors width of detection?
And I will go for the transmitter and receiver way, way easier than the Android Bluetooth.

Great I could help you. I always have the same problem: I plan interesting but complicated stuff, and then it never gets done. My Android-BT-Arduino-IR universal remote (which was the reason I started Arduino) is still not done, because of the Android part, for example. A simple setup that works is always better. And time for improvement is always there later.

Regarding adjusting: PIR motion detectors should work linear. If you cannot see it, it cannot see you. So just turn it in the desired direction and mask the other directions with something.

ElCaron:
Great I could help you. I always have the same problem: I plan interesting but complicated stuff, and then it never gets done. My Android-BT-Arduino-IR universal remote (which was the reason I started Arduino) is still not done, because of the Android part, for example.
A simple setup that works is always better. And time for improvement is always there later.

Regarding adjusting: PIR motion detectors should work linear. If you cannot see it, it cannot see you. So just turn it in the desired direction and mask the other directions with something.

Awesome thanks for the information, now I can build it as soon as I order and receive the parts. About the second arduino; I have the parts to build a second Arduino Uno base and will place the built Arduino outside and the original inside. Whenever I am done building it, will post the results :slight_smile:

Another tip: Ardunio Nano clones are around 6$ from ebay.com and are great for such projects in my opinion. I had, however, problems with a forged USB-to-Serial chip that didn't work unter Windows 8.1 (but did with Linux). In my case, the one with the round, black reset button was fine, the one with the square, redbrownish button had the forged one.

ElCaron: Another tip: Ardunio Nano clones are around 6$ from ebay.com and are great for such projects in my opinion. I had, however, problems with a forged USB-to-Serial chip that didn't work unter Windows 8.1 (but did with Linux). In my case, the one with the round, black reset button was fine, the one with the square, redbrownish button had the forged one.

Thanks I will keep that in mind, when I buy arduino clones :D The nano is indeed a good one for this particular project.