Arduino uno and arduino micro communicating with each other

Hello,

I have a Arduino Uno and I am thinking about getting a Arduino Micro. I need to know if I can get the two to communicate with each other? I have seen people get two Arduino Uno to talk with each other, but what about two different Arduinos?

Thank you for your time.

I believe the Micro is different from the UNO in that you CAN use the COM RX & TX to communicate with another arduino , which you CANNOT do with an UNO beause they are tied to the USB port.

The Micro is similar to the Arduino Leonardo in that the ATmega32u4 has built-in USB communication, eliminating the need for a secondary processor. This allows the Micro to appear to a connected computer as a mouse and keyboard, in addition to a virtual (CDC) serial / COM port. It also has other implications for the behavior of the board; these are detailed on the getting started page.

MICRO

Thank you!! ;)

raschemmel: I believe the Micro is different from the UNO in that you CAN use the COM RX & TX to communicate with another arduino , which you CANNOT do with an UNO beause they are tied to the USB port.

what makes you think you cannot ? actually, you can use them for serial communications

Ok thanks I will try

If you connect the Rx , Tx of an UNO with the Rx & Tx of another UNO, you cannot have your USB connected at the same time because the USB Port is tied to the those pins.

As long as you load your sketch before you connect the Tx & Rx pins it should work.

(I had confused the above with using the USB in Host mode, which doesn't work)

Look at the SCHEMATIC

The OP might be able to do it because he has a Micro and an UNO. The UNO may still be a problem. There would be no problem with two Micros.

You cannot do it with two UNOs.

What about software serial? You can certainly connect the micro to a Uno or Uno to Uno using software serial. If you need more speed than software serial can provide, there is always I2C.

Yes, of course. I was only talking about the hardware situation. I might add that the fact that you would even ask that question suggests you think there is at least a thread of truth in what I said ...

I don't know if you can use hardware serial Uno to Uno or micro. Never tried. I have used software serial so as to keep the hardware serial for uploading and troubleshooting.

raschemmel: Yes, of course. I was only talking about the hardware situation. I might add that the fact that you would even ask that question suggests you think there is at least a thread of truth in what I said ...

I'm not the one who asked ;) Anyway ....

If you connect the Rx , Tx of an UNO with the Rx & Tx of another UNO, you cannot have your USB connected at the same time because the USB Port is tied to the those pins.

The OP didn't say he wanted to use the serial monitor, but even that is possible. Just give it a try and you'll see it works. I was 99% sure of it, but I tried again a few minutes ago, and I confirm that it works. I could even see what was received by one of the Unos on the serial monitor. But sure, you need to disconnect these pins while uploading a sketch.

Bull sh*t.

Correction, As long as you load your sketch before connecting the Tx , Rx it should work. If they are connected the sketch download will hang.

See this post for an example (Reply#4)