Arduino Uno and Motor Sheild Question running a Stepper Motor

HI All, please can I ask for some help I have followed a project published by an aquarium enthusiast who has created an automation process for his tank out of an Arduino Uno and Arduino Motor Sheild. I have followed his process but I want to see if I can make a slight change.

It says online that I can use the 12vDC power supply to drive the Motor shield as well, but when connecting both at the Arduino and Motor shield and wiring in the stepper motor nothing happens… DO i need to run wires from the IOREF port to the Vin port and the same with GND or is there anyway of doing this with out cutting up the power supply to then place in directly to the VIN and GND

I have no idea what I am doing so any basic help would really be appreciated. I have attached what I have at the moment as well as the program he posted

//Mike Braun ZEOvit Filter
#include <Stepper.h>

const int stepsPerRevolution = 40; // change this to fit the number of steps per revolution
// for your motor

// initialize the stepper library on the motor shield
Stepper myStepper(stepsPerRevolution,12,13);

// give the motor control pins names:
const int pwmA = 3;
const int pwmB = 11;
const int brakeA = 9;
const int brakeB = 8;

int previous = 0;

void setup() {
Serial.begin(9600);
// set the PWM and brake pins so that the direction pins // can be used to control the motor:
pinMode(pwmA, OUTPUT);
pinMode(pwmB, OUTPUT);
pinMode(brakeA, OUTPUT);
pinMode(brakeB, OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(pwmA, HIGH);
digitalWrite(pwmB, HIGH);
digitalWrite(brakeA, LOW);
digitalWrite(brakeB, LOW);
// initialize the serial port:
Serial.begin(9600);
// set the motor speed (for multiple steps only):
//myStepper.setSpeed(500);
}

void loop() {

//Get Motor up to 500 speed and turn 300 steps / Total steps 350
myStepper.setSpeed(400);
myStepper.step(30);
myStepper.setSpeed(500);
myStepper.step(300);
//Slow Motor down and stop
myStepper.setSpeed(300);
myStepper.step(10);
myStepper.setSpeed(200);
myStepper.step(10);
//myStepper.setSpeed(100);
//myStepper.step(10);
//delay(1000);

//Get Motor up to 500 speed and turn 300 steps / Total steps 350
myStepper.setSpeed(400);
myStepper.step(-30);
myStepper.setSpeed(500);
myStepper.step(-300);
myStepper.setSpeed(300);
myStepper.step(-10);
myStepper.setSpeed(200);
myStepper.step(-10);
//myStepper.step(-10);
//delay(1000);

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////

//Get Motor up to 500 speed and turn 200 steps / Total steps 250
myStepper.setSpeed(400);
myStepper.step(30);
myStepper.setSpeed(500);
myStepper.step(200);
myStepper.setSpeed(300);
myStepper.step(10);
myStepper.setSpeed(200);
myStepper.step(10);
//myStepper.step(10);
//delay(1000);

//Get Motor up to 500 speed and turn 200 steps / Total steps 250
myStepper.setSpeed(400);
myStepper.step(-30);
myStepper.setSpeed(500);
myStepper.step(-200);
myStepper.setSpeed(300);
myStepper.step(-10);
myStepper.setSpeed(200);
myStepper.step(-10);
//myStepper.step(-10);
//delay(1000);

}

big motor for small shield is it capable to have the current?

check how servo.h works as it is on pins 12 and 13, the shield has dedicated pins. the rest of the software all these pinassignment is not needed.

Richard,
When posting code, please use code tags (the # key above the smileys).
When posting pictures, please make them no bigger than 1000 x 600.

I have copied this code from a forum page so I have no idea where the # would go and the motor is compatibly with the sheild 2amp and 5volts... Running what I want to know is where do I connect the power 2 as I plugged a dc adapter in the the arduino uno and it appears it's now broken so I have to purchase another one. So should I put the 2 wire on the external power supply and wire them directly into the vin and GND of the motor sheild ?

The [Vin] and [Gnd] on the Motor Shield I believe will need power to it. if you can, make an adapter so the power pack can connect to both the arduino board and the Motor Sheild.

Once you power the Motor Shield you will take the current loading of the Arduino board.

2 ampere for a adapter is double the rating probably Vin and the motor are normally connected, the voltage should be 9 - 12 volts the shield will not make steps when voltage is only 5 volts. start easy with just steps. and not a big program. give us details on what type of boards are used.

I have purchased an arduino uno and arduino motor sheild both used in the project I am copying. The code added above is the same code the guy is using and posted for people to copy. I have used the same motor as the project apart from mine has 4Nm over his at 1.8NM.

http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31257

This is the project, what I need to know is do I place the 12volt power supply directly to the vin and GND of the arduino motor sheild and this will then run the stepping process.

I have also posted above the rating needed from the nema 23 stepper I purchased