Arduino Uno and Xbee(Series 1) wireless communication

Right now we have two arduino uno's (http://www.sparkfun.com/products/11021), 2 Xbee Series 1 transceivers (http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8664), and two Xbee adapters from adafruit (XBee Adapter kit [v1.1] : ID 126 : $10.00 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits).

We have the Xbee's plugged into their adapters and the adapters are then wired to the 5v and ground of each arduino uno. The adapter has a voltage regulator within it to give the correct power to the xbee. The green LED is blinking on each Xbee to signal power is being received. Next the adapters Rx port is connected to the arduinos Tx port and vice versa. We uploaded the basic arduino sketch of sending H's and L's to make the LED on the arduino turn on and then off( one arduino is programmed to send the H's and L's, while the other arduino is programmed to receive the H's and L's). We have verified this code works by using hyper terminal. However when connecting the xbee's no information was sent or received. we set up the Xbee's using the putty software following a tutorial and believe that is working correctly.

I was wondering if anyone knew why this would not be working and could give me any advice on how to fix this.

we set up the Xbee's using the putty software following a tutorial and believe that is working correctly.

Why didn't you use X-CTU? How do you KNOW that the XBees are communicating? What, exactly, did you set, to what?

following this tutorial Tutorial 9 for Arduino: Wireless Communication – JeremyBlum.com we configured the xbee's. is using x-ctu the better way to go. I guess we just assumed the xbee's were working correctly now that i think of it.

is using x-ctu the better way to go.

In my opinion, yes, because it includes a mechanism to test that the XBees are indeed communicating. It's also a graphic interface, and collects all the data and sends it at once. No need to type fast to prevent timeouts.

Thank you, I will give that a try