Arduino Uno (as ISP and) as relay for serial communication with ATTiny84

Hello, I managed to program an ATTiny84 via Arduino ISP.

I would like to use serial monitoring from the ATTiny via Arduino to the serial monitor in the Arduino IDE.

I tried several tutorials I found, but was not successful. A promising approach is the "knock bang" protocol (it should even work with the 8 MHz internal speed of the ATTiny).

It is not clear to me: - which pin is used connecting ATTiny84 and Arduino - what is the correct baud rate (9200?) from ATTiny to Arduino (communication Arduino with the PC is 19200, that works: I see "monitoring enabled" when I send the exclamation mark !) - where can I get the client library for the ATTiny84 and how should that be integrated in the Arduino IDE? (something for #including "TinyDebugKnockBang.h").

Probably the found downloads are made for older versions of the Arduino IDE?

I installed the ATTiny84 in the Arduino IDE via "board manager" and ATTinyCore from Spence Conde. Would that work in combinatin with the "knock bank" library? or is that part of my problem?

any help? thank you.

Have you looked at the documentation for my core?

Specificially, it has a built in software serial that works pretty well - TX is AIN0, RX is AIN1. Have you tried just using that? usually on the ATTiny84, I've found that it works with the factory calibration. IMO, it's probably easier to tweak OSCCAL and use the software serial, vs farting around with knockbang, which needs another Arduino to translate it into serial....

Hello,

embu: - which pin is used connecting ATTiny84 and Arduino

By default A5 is used... https://github.com/Coding-Badly/TinyDebugKnockBang/blob/master/TinyDebugKnockBang.h#L57

• what is the correct baud rate (9200?) from ATTiny to Arduino

The baud rate parameter is irrelevant and ignored.

• where can I get the client library for the ATTiny84

https://github.com/Coding-Badly/TinyDebugKnockBang

and how should that be integrated in the Arduino IDE? (something for #including "TinyDebugKnockBang.h").

Don't know.

Probably the found downloads are made for older versions of the Arduino IDE?

Yup.

I installed the ATTiny84 in the Arduino IDE via "board manager" and ATTinyCore from Spence Conde. Would that work in combinatin with the "knock bank" library?

Don't know.

Thank you for both good and quick answers. I will try...

My core should work with knockbang. There was a thread a while back where someone had problems with making it work, but I fixed that, and they seemed to be satisfied with it.

@DrAzzy I can confirm that your core and TinyDebugKnockBang is working. I have tried on t84, t85 and t2313

@embu this is my test sketch:

#include <TinyDebugKnockBang.h>

void setup( void )
{
  Debug.begin( 250000 );
}

void loop( void )
{
  Debug.println("Test knock-bang");
  delay( 1000 );
}