Arduino Uno AVR Problems

so im trying to use my arduino as an isp programmer because i dont have the money to buy one and its not worth it for one project.....so i connected the 10uf cap from 5v on the caps + end to the - end on the reset pin but i keep getting this error in AVR dude

stk500_sync(): not in sync: resp 0xe0

or

stk500_sync(): not in sync: resp 0x00

hardware info

arduino uno on com3

windows XP

What else is connected? You seem to have left quite a bit of detail out. I'm usually pretty forgiving, but this question leaves a lot to be desired.

so i connected the 10uf cap from 5v GND on the caps + end to the - end on the RESET pin but i keep getting this error in AVR dude

Details…
http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Main/DisablingAutoResetOnSerialConnection

Coding, Is there a more up to date page that discusses the duemilanove and the Uno?

How is the reset-en supposed to work? Doesn't look to me that it makes a difference whether it is open or not dueto having a trace in parallel with it, unless the cap is removed from the board.

The parallel trace is actually routed through the solder jumper on the board. That's how you have to show it in Eagle to get a "NC" jumper.

I believe the intent is to cut through the trace at the solder jumper to disable autoreset.

Jim

Uh oh. I fear your questions are about to expose my ignorance. Tonight I'm too tired to care so let's get start!

CrossRoads: Coding, Is there a more up to date page that discusses the duemilanove and the Uno?

I'm not aware of one. That's the link I use when folks have auto-reset problems.

How is the reset-en supposed to work?

That was discussed in the forum a few weeks months ago. I think this was it... http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1281641024

If I understand correctly, the pads are there so a user can solder a bridge and restore auto-reset.

Doesn't look to me that it makes a difference whether it is open or not dueto having a trace in parallel with it, unless the cap is removed from the board.

The parallel trace is meant to be cut to (semi) permanently disable auto-reset.

I think a better choice would be to keep the cut-trace but include pads and holes so jumper pins could be installed.

Whew! I think I made it without too much embarrassment!

JimG, that hits the nail right on the head! Looking at a board, there are not two traces, just the one with the trace between the pads ready to be cut. Guess I should have pulled out the magniflying glass first before asking. Thats what I get for reading the schematic!

Also, the hatchwork of ground plane makes it hard to follow some things on the duemilanove.

@ Cross Roads im sorry i left out so much info, but i was wicked tired when i posted it.

So im trying to re-program an attiny 2313 because i want to extend the Larson Scanner from evilmadscience.com.

so i have pins 10,11,12,13 connected to the appropriate pins on the tiny2313 and 5v going to the VCC, and a ground to ground on the Arduino. i didnt bother with the LEDs on 9, 8, and 7.

Have you seen this application note? http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc8373.pdf Might just be muddying the waters tho.

So you havethe Arduino's SS, MISO, MOSI, and SCK connected to which pins on the ATTiny?

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc2543.pdf

You have a crystal hooked up also?

You usually need Reset connected also.

You have the pins connected per page 162 and the sequence is following the steps on 172?

So i have to have a crystal? but this attiny is preconfigured to use its own internal crystal/timer thing, because its already programmed from evilmadscience.....

and yes i have the reset pin hooked up, MOSI and MISO and USCK hooked up.

Well, more new information.

Okay, go ask evil madscience about programming, you got me stumped.

Hey Cross Roads

Im really sorry I've been such a pain in the ass, but i finally got it to program the attiny, i was not following the instructions on programming it correctly, i didn't realize you had to hold the reset button, release, then start the programmer.

So i got it programming but i got this error....

avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000 0x12 ! = 0x67 avrdude: verification error, content mismatch

So you have directions too! "Laboratories", you say. Hmmmm.

I would say with that programmer response, it either did Not program, or is Not reading back incorrectly.

When did you press reset? Usually you need to do it right when the IDE says something like "xxx bytes of xxx bytes".

Try running it, see what happens.

hahaha its a very incorrect use of Laboratories, as the research is quite inconclusive lol

ok, i will try that. Thanks for putting up with me.