Arduino UNO board doesn't activate connecting to PC

Hi everybody,

I have a problem with my UNO board, I connect it to my pc via USB cable but the activation led only lights up for about one second and then it turns off. Also I can't select any COM from the IDE software.
I used this board for about 3 months before and none of this ever happened, is it completely dead?

Thanks

Try with nothing connected to the board.

What was connected to the board when you started encountering the problem?

Any chance that you wired something incorrectly? E.g. 12V on one of the pins?

(deleted)

spycatcher2k:
What is an 'activation led'?

There are 4 LEDs on official Arduinos, Power, PIN 13 (L13), Rx & Tx.

Which LED are you talking about specifically? Is it an Arduino product or a copy/fake/clone you have?
Have you tried a different USB port & Cable?

Sorry for the unaccuracy, I have a clone product (Elegoo UNO R3) and I'm talking about the green "ON" steady led and the orange "L" blinking led, they usually work as described if the board is working.
Yes I tried with different cables/ports

(deleted)

spycatcher2k:
Sounds like you may have a possible short on the board or one of the chips. doeas anything get worm to the touch when you apply power?

As a matter of fact, the female USB-B connector on the board gets a little warm

The connector shouldn’t be getting warm, that will only happen if excess current is being drawn.

Does the chip near the USB connector, or the Atmega328P chip, also feel warm or hot?

I have a few questions before any solution.

Do you have installed the proper drivers of the Arduino Nano (CH340G)? Some fake copies don't work.

After checking that, please check that the bootloader is flashed on the board. You have to burn a bootloader to your chip. You must have another Arduino to do that.

The orange "L" Led isn't the reliable source that that the board is working. The board can have a program that will control the Led, (as the board is not brand new and you have used and programmed it).

Please keep these things in mind before doing anything to the board.

..Arnav

ArnavPawarAA:
Do you have installed the proper drivers of the Arduino Nano (CH340G)? Some fake copies don't work.

Note that @paulistao has an Uno clone, not a Nano. It is true that some Uno derivatives use the CH340G, others use the ATmega16U2 just like the official Arduino Uno. From the manufacturer's pictures of the Elegoo Uno R3, it uses the ATmega16U2. You can't always trust the pictures, but we also shouldn't assume clone/derivative boards use the CH340G unless we have actual evidence of this. If the board doesn't have a CH340, then finding and installing that driver will be a big wild goose chase that only leads to confusion and frustration.

ArnavPawarAA:
After checking that, please check that the bootloader is flashed on the board. You have to burn a bootloader to your chip. You must have another Arduino to do that.

A missing bootloader on an Uno will never result in the port not showing up. This is because the port is created by the USB to serial adapter chip (e.g., ATmega16U2, CH340), which is a separate chip from the the ATmega328P that the bootloader runs on.

pert:
Note that @paulistao has an Uno clone, not a Nano. It is true that some Uno derivatives use the CH340G, others use the ATmega16U2 just like the official Arduino Uno. From the manufacturer’s pictures of the Elegoo Uno R3, it uses the ATmega16U2. You can’t always trust the pictures, but we also shouldn’t assume clone/derivative boards use the CH340G unless we have actual evidence of this. If the board doesn’t have a CH340, then finding an installing that drive will be a big wild goose chase that only leads to confusion and frustration.
A missing bootloader on an Uno will never result in the port not showing up. This is because the port is created by the USB to serial adapter chip (e.g., ATmega16U2, CH340), which is a separate chip from the the ATmega328P that the bootloader runs on.

Yes, Sorry if that bootloader one is wrong. But the OP didn’t provide with much information.

For the OP, I would say

Install “all” the drivers from the Arduino’s drivers folder. Here-

C: > Program Files(x86) > Arduino > drivers

(don’t end up trying to figure out that why the .cat file is not installing)

Provide us with more information - what is comming in the device manager when you put in the board.

Just keep in mind that the L Led should not be considered as the source that the board is working. (Unless your board is brand new)

… Arnav

(deleted)

spycatcher2k:
This is not a 'missing bootloader' or 'missing driver' issue. The OP clearly states that all the LEDs go off after a second. While your intentions are great, please put a bit more thought into your suggestions. I did struggle at the start with Arduino, and did, on some occasions receive advise to do something that did not help, but did, in fact, cause further problems & confusion.

Yes, I will try to. There are problems in my posts because there are problems with my PC, so I am posting all this on phone and can't test it. But I try inform the OP about all the possibilities and all things that can be a gateway to the problem.

..Arnav

ArnavPawarAA:
Yes, I will try to. There are problems in my posts because there are problems with my PC, so I am posting all this on phone and can't test it.

I'll suggest you try something I found very helpful when I first started using this forum. I was new to Arduino, and so not ready to start providing assistance here. What I did was to play a game where I would read a forum thread and then make a private guess as to what the correct answer was, then subscribe to the thread and watch to see whether my guess was correct. In fact, I still play that game here with the threads I'm interested in, but not knowledgeable enough about to participate in.

pert:
I'll suggest you try something I found very helpful when I first started using this forum. I was new to Arduino, and so not ready to start providing assistance here. What I did was to play a game where I would read a forum thread and then make a private guess as to what the correct answer was, then subscribe to the thread and watch to see whether my guess was correct. In fact, I still play that game here with the threads I'm interested in, but not knowledgeable enough about to participate in.

Good! This happens with me a few times.

The posts I have posted a answer on, are marked with a symbol (specs)
So I sometimes become a kid and think that the posts are parts of land and the posts which have that symbol are my territories of the colonial empire XD

But, I don't open up every post, I see the title. If the title is one that can I answer, then I open it up and see the post and see if I can answer. I only answer if it is answerable by me. If not, then I don't try to post useless comments.

I try to notify the OP about all the things that can go wrong, should be warned, and can be the reason on the issue.

..Arnav