Arduino UNO Board unique USB ID ?

Hi;

I just purchase an another Arduino UNO board, it work fine, but I was expecting to simply connect to my computer and my system will say Port 7 in my hardware devices ports list. But NO, when I connect the new board, my computer was telling me that I have a new device.... ( I was thinking... What new device ? - to my surprise ) , I re-install/re-tell the computer the driver in my location D:\Arduino_uno\drivers and a new port is now port 10. The thing is when I purchase a new Duemilanove compatible - like a Freeduino, the computer did not ask me the new device message, but for an geniune Arduino UNO board, it does... I found that a bit an inconvinence for me - ( I may run out of port number ... )

My question is : Did the Arduino UNO board has it own unique USB ID number ? - Connect to your computer, it will tell you that you are connecting a new device.

My answer will yes... I wonder why it that ?

I wonder why it that ?

So you can connect two arduinos to the same computer and treat them as different devices.

Thank Grumpy_Mike for replying.

So you can connect two arduinos to the same computer and treat them as different devices.

I did not think about that. You right, in that way , I can see some possibilities of usage in that way. It a nice feature in a way ( use one UNO and the other one Freeduino or another UNO ) , but an inconvinience in another way ( the limitation of port number on a PC )

I better think of this "feature" when I purchase a new UNO Board.

If I’m not mistaken, the Virtual COM port driver on Windows will allow you to have at least 256 COM ports. By the time you have that many boards connected to your computer, you will most certainly run into other limitations. I’d rather see different ports for each *duino I have connected. Right now my Uno shows up on COM4, my FTDI cable on COM3, USB2Serial cable on COM8 …

KirAsh4:
If I'm not mistaken, the Virtual COM port driver on Windows will allow you to have at least 256 COM ports. By the time you have that many boards connected to your computer, you will most certainly run into other limitations. I'd rather see different ports for each *duino I have connected. Right now my Uno shows up on COM4, my FTDI cable on COM3, USB2Serial cable on COM8 ...

Agreed- COM256 is the last one I'm seeing in my option list.