Arduino UNO bricked ?

It seems i've bricked my Arduino UNO. Windows, Mac and Linux are not recognizing the USB device anymore.

I think the FTDI chip is fried, but the 3.3V pin is still providing 3.3V. If i'm not mistaken, 3.3V is supplied by the FTDI chip.

I've connected a max202 to pin 0/1 on the arduino and the last uploaded program is still running, but i'm not able to upload a new program. I don't have an RTS pin to connect to the RST on the arduino so i need to reset it manualy. Not sure if uploading isn't working caused by incorrect timing (pressing the reset button, uploading) or an incorrect board type in the IDE.

So my questions are: - Is my FTDI realy fried - Is it possible to create a workable workaround with a max202

Pass or fail? http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,73748.0.html

fail. "Windows, Mac and Linux are not recognizing the USB device anymore. "

Have you tried a different USB cable?

I have. My other uno's, mega and duemilanove are working fine.

It seems i've bricked my Arduino UNO ... I think the FTDI chip is fried

Unos don't have FTDIs.

Is this the board you have? http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardUno

It is.

A fried ATMEGA8U2 then ?

I also had a broken arduino Duemilanove (328) laying around. But this one was still deteced via USB.

So i switched the ATMEGA328 from the Duemilanove with the ATMEGA328 from the UNO which resulted in a fully working unit.

When I program the working ATMEGA328 and place it in the UNO again, the program runs fine, but annoying to upload new programs I think i'm safe to say that the UNO has a fried ATMEGA8U2 and my Duemilanove had a fried ATMEGA328 but with a working FTDI.

Now i'm left with a fully working Duemilanove and an UNO with broken ATMEGA8U2 and broken ATMEGA328.

Do the bootloaders on the ATMEGA328 from the Duemilanove and the UNO differ ? The IDE only allows uploading the the working Duemilanove (with the UNO ATMEGA328) if i select UNO as board type.

They run at different baud rates if I recall correctly. The Uno bootloader also leaves a bit more space. The board definition cares more about your choice of bootloader than about what USB-Serial-converter you use, so you can treat the mix like a near-Uno.

A fried ATMEGA8U2 then ?

Possibly. First try re-flashing it.

Is that possible now the ATMEGA8U2 isn't detected anymore via usb by the OS ?

I have not re-flashed the 8U2 so take my advice with a grain of salt. I believe re-flashing the 8U2 involves connecting an ISP to the 6 pin connector nearest the USB connector. You will not be connecting the target board to a USB port.