Arduino UNO - burned serial?

Hi,

After testing a shield on my UNO board I cannot upload anything to it. After some troubleshooting I can tell - the chip (atmega328) is ok since it works on a severino (I can upload the blink sketch). - power part on UNO is working; the programed chip works on it - the usb to serial is not working; I can't get echo with pins 0 and 1 connected on UNO (without the chip) and with reset pressed.

Thanks in advance for any help, Adi

I am not sure I can help, but I would like to know something just for my own info. What OS are you using to program the UNO? Windows or Linux?

If you can upload a sketch, the FTDI chip certainly works.

WizenedEE: If you can upload a sketch, the FTDI chip certainly works.

It think he meant the 328 chip seems to be ok because he put it into a different board ( a severino?) and was able to upload to it. That certainly doesn't mean the serial chip on his Uno is OK, it rather points to it not being OK.

Lefty

SurferTim: I am not sure I can help, but I would like to know something just for my own info. What OS are you using to program the UNO? Windows or Linux?

It's windows XP with arduino 21 IDE

retrolefty:

WizenedEE: If you can upload a sketch, the FTDI chip certainly works.

It think he meant the 328 chip seems to be ok because he put it into a different board ( a severino?) and was able to upload to it. That certainly doesn't mean the serial chip on his Uno is OK, it rather points to it not being OK. Lefty

That's right. Any ideas how to make the UNO USB-to-serial work? Thanks

Any ideas how to make the UNO USB-to-serial work?

If you remove the shield board on the arduino does the Uno then work trying to load a simple sketch like the blink example?

If not, does the PC recognize a new USB connection when you first plug in the Uno board to the PC (makes the 'gong' sound)?

Lefty

retrolefty: If you remove the shield board on the arduino does the Uno then work trying to load a simple sketch like the blink example?

Without any shields on top, and with a tested 328 the upload hangs with no error message.

retrolefty: If not, does the PC recognize a new USB connection when you first plug in the Uno board to the PC (makes the 'gong' sound)?

The PC can see the UNO board (in device manager under Ports (COM & LPT)). No gong on plug in (i think I disabled the sounds)

To test the serial I removed the 328 and instead conected his TX and RX pins. pressing reset I cannot get the echo on serial (loopback)

There is a way to re-flash the USB/serial chip on the Uno - search these forums for details.

did you see my post about the USB also not being recognised my Arduino window but it shows up in the device manager of Win XP. Is this whats happening to you?