Arduino uno clone issue

I bought 2 arduino uno r3 clones with the ch340 usb chips. I downloaded the 340 device drivers for the Mac and could use both of them no problem.

I have been trying to get into avr programming so I got myself a usasp programmer from freetronics and using crosspack was able to load some basic avr programs to one of the boards, no problem. I was also able to upload my arduino sketches via Icsp and the programmer without problems.

I now used the usasp programmer to upload the arduino bootloader. The arduino ide says the upload was successful. Now when I connect the arduino board to the USB port directly without the programmer, I don't see the serial connection to the board.

The original untouched arduino board is fine, I can see the serial connection.

I tried playing around with avr dude and different fuse settings, but I guess the bootloader install option in the ide burns the fuses as part of the install.

Can anyone advise? I haven't enough courage to try this on one of my real arduinos, to see whether it's just an issue with the clones.

Tim

I don’t se how uploading code to the ATmega chip would cause the USB chip to not work. Perhaps there was a weak connection that happened to break while you were using the board with ICSP.

Check the usual things for a board that doesn’t show up as a USB device:
Try a different cable.
Try a different USB port.
Check Device Manager to see if the USB device is noticed at all and the driver just isn’t working.

Check to see what dmesg says before and after you plug the board in.

Problem solved.

I tried installing the bootloader to the other uno r3 clone I had. It works fine. The serial port appears and functions as normal on that board. Looks like a dud clone. The Tx and rx LEDs seem to be on all the time, on that board. Ah well, it was only $4. Maybe as mentioned, installing the Icsp cable onto the board loosened something.

Yalu:
Problem solved.

I tried installing the bootloader to the other uno r3 clone I had. It works fine. The serial port appears and functions as normal on that board. Looks like a dud clone. The Tx and rx LEDs seem to be on all the time, on that board. Ah well, it was only $4. Maybe as mentioned, installing the Icsp cable onto the board loosened something.

Those clones with the ch340 chip give so much headache, at least that's what I've read.

And a question: Only 4 usd? For the entire r3 board?

I bought 2 for aus$9.58 on eBay with free postage. At those prices I guess it doesn't matter whether you get a dud every once in a while.

I didn't find the ch340 to be a problem. Just downloaded the Mac drivers from the Chinese website.

The CH340 works and works well. Some boards may or may not have issues.