Arduino Uno com port + issue

So I have a sketch loaded on my Arduino UNO that was working just fine for about a month, all it is doing is monitoring moisture content and displaying it on the serial monitor. I am using Windows Pro 10 and Arduino Ide 1.8.13 for programming.
So all of a sudden I get an error , I thought I may have had it in the wrong com port but when I changed it from one port to another (com 3 to com 7) it always reads com3. Almost like it is stuck in

Arduino: 1.8.13 (Windows Store 1.8.42.0) (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Uno"

An error occurred while uploading the sketch

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x22

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x22

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x22

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x22

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x22

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x22

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x22

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x22

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x22

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x22

com 3 if that is possible, and the error is in the window below the code which I will post in the code .
All i did was to change a few values in my code as to what the min and max values were . I put things back to the way they were but still the same issue, it showed com3 no matter what I did. I tried the loopback test and of course it did not repeat the message. I used a spare Arduino and all is fine but still same issue with the original Arduino.

If it is an official board then COM 3 would be correct.

Clone boards do have a tendency to FLOAT the com port depending on the USB port being used.

Thank you for your reply and moving my message to the proper forum place. It is an official board ,not a clone, for some reason I believe that the chip in its self is stuck on com3 which saying this makes no sense, that I realize. So what I have done was to remove my ic from my Uno and had another Uno as a backup and swapped out the chip. The Uno now works as expected, so all I determined was that the chip was the issue, still don’t know why. I tried to use my spare to burn the bootloader back to the chip thinking it may help but that did nothing to resolve it .Oddly enough no matter where this board is plugged in, it comes up as com3 and says Arduino uno.
When I plug the board into the com port, I get the tone that recognizes the existence of the board installed , just wondering if there is anything I could try so the chip will show the right port and still work. It tries to load the sketch and goes to the the end (progress bar green) but then hangs at the end and comes back with the error listed above. If I need to replace the chip, which should I buy, the one I used that worked and the one I have is extremely hard to read .It looks like 328p-pu, seen some that were listed as 328-pu.From what I have read I believe the p -pu is picopower which allows it to run on less power, is this correct? Thanks again.

My laptop shows COM3 when no boards are connected, and then COManything else when a board is plugged. Could be a function of the USB hub in the laptop.

Unos are shipped with 328P-PU.

If you installed MiniCore from Github, the 328-PU (non Pico power) will also be supported.

Or MightyCore if you want to use the larger '1284P with dual hardware serial and 32 IO pins.

The '16U2 near the USB connector is what determines the COM port, and not the contents of anything programmed into the 328.

Ok so if the chip by the usb is what determines the com port , then why would everything work as soon as I replace the Amtel328p-pu then? I assumed that when I swapped out the Amtel and everything worked would point to the Amtel chip and not the circuits on the board. Am i mistaking because it worked that way?Thanks