Arduino Uno Disney Magic Band Scanner to lock/unlock door

Hi,
I am wanting to build my own version of the Disney Touchpoint Magic Band Scanners (see link).

I plan on using the Arduino Uno Rev3 because that is what I am most familiar with and have some experience programming LEDs using the Uno. I am going to buy a Neopixel Ring 24 x 5050 RGBW Cool White from Adafruit. NeoPixel Ring - 24 x 5050 RGBW LEDs w/ Integrated Drivers [Cool White - ~6000K] : ID 2863 : $19.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits I haven't programmed a Neopixel Ring before, but I've had some success programming a Neopixel RGBW Strip from Adafruit so it should be a simple transition I would think.
I think that I have the LED programming figured out. I would like to mount the scanner on the wall and activate using a key fob and RFID scanner.

The part that I am looking for recommendations for is that I think it would be cool to have the scanner actually be able to lock and unlock a door and, when locked/unlocked, display a short message on a LCD or OLED display. Something simple like "Welcome Home" and "Have a Magical Day".

So the two areas of this project that I am not as familiar with would be:

1. Does anyone have any experience using an Uno to lock/unlock a door that can give me some recommendations for a device they used that was compatible and fairly easy to program?
  2. As far as LCD or OLED displays go, what are some good displays compatible with the Uno that are easily programmable?

The final result that I am looking for is to scan the RFID tag and if the scanner recognizes the tag, the LED Ring will do a little white chase and then light up green. The door will then be either locked or unlocked. If locked, the display will read "Have a Magical Day!" and if unlocked, the display will read "Welcome Home!"

Thank you for taking the time to read through this and any help you can give me for my project is much appreciated!

To get any help, you need to supply information to base that help on. What king of door lock? Picture? How much power/torque does it take to lock and unlock? How much motion is requires? Rotary or linear?

Paul

i had done a project about door lock.
i use “solenoid door lock” to lock the door, easy to program
my main issue is, this door lock type can’t replace the default lock with key because too bulky
but it work well as additional lock

One way to 'unlock' a door electrically is with an "electric strike plate". The "strike plate" is the hole in the door jamb to which the latch latches. In an electric strike plate, a solenoid releases one side of the hole so the latch can escape the hole. Google "electric strike" for options. Looks like they start at about $30.

rzk:
i had done a project about door lock.
i use "solenoid door lock" to lock the door, easy to program
my main issue is, this door lock type can't replace the default lock with key because too bulky
but it work well as additional lock

Thank you for your response! Do you have a specific solenoid door lock that you used? I found this on Adafruit's website:

I envision it was probably something like this. Seems pretty straightforward. When powered, the current going through the solenoid creates a magnetic field that unlocks the door. The door is locked when powered off so in case of a power outage, the door can remain locked.

johnwasser:
One way to 'unlock' a door electrically is with an "electric strike plate". The "strike plate" is the hole in the door jamb to which the latch latches. In an electric strike plate, a solenoid releases one side of the hole so the latch can escape the hole. Google "electric strike" for options. Looks like they start at about $30.

Thank you for your quick response, John! I googled some electric strike locks and this is a very intriguing option that I hadn't really seen much of before you pointed it out. I have found a couple different models online that I think would be good fits for this project.

I think something like this makes sense and seems decently easy to install and program for my needs. Thanks for your help!