Arduino Uno Error

Hi,

I am trying to upload a blink code onto my Arduino via the Arudino Editor online, but I am getting the following error:

Error via Editor Online:
Executing command: exit status 1.
Using Port : COM3
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 115200
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM3": The semaphore timeout period has expired.
avrdude done. Thank you.

I am also getting the same error if I use Arduino software on my desktop. I am using the correct board type and port, and I am running windows 10. I am also running the latest software Arduino 1.8.8

Error via software:
Sketch uses 930 bytes (2%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM3": The semaphore timeout period has expired.
Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

Any suggestions?

Panchi

Edit:
I got it to work, by disabling my bluetooth, so that it does not interfere with the COM's. Is there a workaround to this, since I am unable to use my bluetooth mouse now.

Some of the older bluetooth adaptors did interfere with COM ports.
You might want to check that the drivers for your mouse are up to date to start with.

If you know your way around your OS you could also try to LOCK the mouse COM port to see if you can stop it wandering and interfering with the Arduino.

See this link for some basic advice

Just a heads up as locking COM ports has on occasion prevented other hardware from working so you may want to write down what you do to back track if needed.

1 Like