Arduino Uno/ESP8266 Thermostat

Hi everyone. I am new to the programming world and to the world of Arduino. I am trying to put together a Wi-Fi enabled thermostat using my Arduino Uno with a 2.8 inch touch screen and an ESP8266. I have attached a drawing showing how I plan to connect everything and notes of what I would like everything to do. If anyone has any programming tips or has any programming they can share with me to make this all happen please let me know. Thank you.

Why don’t you give it a try? We will help if you get stuck;
Why are you reading the temperature from the ESP??

Start simple, build a uno program without ESP reading the temp

Then add the controlling of the relay

Then play with the ESP and decide what it is used for in your design. Experiment being a client, a server.

Then integrate everything your learnt - and if you fail along the way, try again and the forum can help… the journey is the reward

Thank you for your advice. That what I really wanted to do was try myself. Having some examples along the way so far have been very helpful. The biggest reason for using the ESP was for Wi-Fi connectivity so I can use MQTT to Openhab.

The biggest reason for using the ESP was for Wi-Fi connectivity so I can use MQTT to Openhab.

That does not explain why you think it's a good idea to connect your sensor to the ESP especially if you use it only for wifi.

There are plenty of examples online with the différent pieces I mentioned. Just explore a bit, don't look for the full solution.

Ray’s Projects

@jasonlr06,

There is more than one way to learn:

1. Some can start with basic concepts and build their knowledge outwards.
  2. Others learn better by example.

If you are in the #2 group, I have a few working ESP8266 ArduinoIDE projects ranging from simple to complex. Have a look, tear 'em apart to see how it was done, modify… have fun.

Ray