Arduino Uno + i2c 32 channel board

Hi All

I am looking to control 32 servos using wifi using the Arduino Uno board and an i2c 32 board and 2 x Xbee boards. Will they all work together ? Also with that many servos I need to ensure power to them isn't an issue I was going to use a Rc speed controller that use a Bec system ? Any help on this would be great

Thanks

Will they all work together ?

I want to build a race car. I have an engine, a steering wheel, and a drive-shaft. Will they work together? You have no way of knowing, as there is too little detail provided. In the same way, we can't answer your question.

Also with that many servos I need to ensure power to them isn't an issue I was going to use a Rc speed controller that use a Bec system ?

Were you?

Any help on this would be great

I think you are planning to jump in the deep end without a clue how deep it is or how to swim. But, don't let me discourage you.

I am just trying to understand if I can connect them up and yes I am trying to run before I walk but I want to build something extremely different. I have never used one of these boards hence why I ask. Which board is best the arduino or uno board? What information can I give you? thanks for your reply

Which board is best the arduino or uno board?

The UNO is an Arduino board - one of many.

I am just trying to understand if I can connect them up

There’s always duct tape, if you can’t manage to post links.

yes I am trying to run before I walk but I want to build something extremely different.

You are trying to run before you’ve even picked out running shoes or put them on, too. Putting shoes on while running is going to present a real challenge. Good luck with that.

guessing then you don't have any suggestions other than by the sounds of it give up :(

Ok say I want to control 12 servos though wifi what equipment would I need ? besides a pc

I'd suggest starting with the Servo.h library. http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/Servo I don't know what you mean by "i2c 32 board", but as servo's require a continuous PWM-like control signal, they can't really be muxed. You will need lots of current. Rule of thumb is 1A/servo, but that will vary with the type of servo used. How you give commands that the Arduino will interpret to move the servo's doesn't matter much - Xbee just needs Serial interface. You haven't said what drives the Xbee on the other end.

Thanks the board I have is a board made for a raspberry pi but I am told if it is a I2C signal SDA, SCL, Vcc, GND, then you can use this board. Also I don't know how to connect it I just was told that Xbee's are a way of connecting to device over wifi and it was suggested this was the way to connect it from my pc to the board to control it

Well, we can keep guessing, or you can provide a link to the I2C board, which is what PaulS was getting at. I2C comms are 100KHz and 400KHz.

oh sorry http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raspberry-Pi-Rs-Pi-I2C-32-Channel-12-bit-PMW-Servo-Board-/321076390929?pt=UK_Computing_Internal_Port_Expansion_Cards&hash=item4ac1a4ec11

Read here for Arduino controlling the chip on that board http://www.adafruit.com/product/815 So it would seem possible.

For 32 Servos will need multiple boards. Not clear if that supports multiple addresses, or if an external to the board I2C mux will be needed, such as http://www.dsscircuits.com/index.php/i2c-multiplexer

Great what else will I need. Thanks for your help

Servos, power supply, Xbees are 3.3V devices so depending on the model you select perhaps 5V to 3.3V level converters. Uno only has 150mA of 3.3V current, so depending on Xbee model maybe a 3.3V supply. Keep picking components, and reading their specs.

Ok what if I used a lipo and a ubec system?

Better be a high capacity unit with 32 servo's.

I was thinking of a 14v 5000mah?

That should run for an hour to two. That's like 70 AH, and your servos could draw 32AH if all are drawing a lot of current. Also depends on the DC/DC converter efficiency.

I was thinking of about an hour. Right so I need a shopping list so I can order stuff tomorrow