Arduino Uno Installation Problem

In Windows XP Home Edition, Device Manager shows Arduino UNO (COM4) with a yellow exclamation point. In troubleshooting, device will not start (Code 10). When a sketch is uploaded, menu Tools>Serial Port shows COM1. The sketch results in the following:
Binary sketch size: 2710 bytes (of a 32256 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

I have tried 3 different USB to Serial cables. I have installed and uninstalled 3 different versions of Arduino. Currently, I am using version 22. This version worked on previous occasions. Since that time, I completely refreshed my PC, which I would hate to do again. Is there any solution to the "yellow exclamation point" or "code 10"?

Have you tried that latest version, 1.0.5 ?
This has an installer that should install the drivers for you.

http://arduino.googlecode.com/files/arduino-1.0.5-windows.exe

Yes, that was the first installer that I tried.

What is the version of usbser.sys ?

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\usbser.sys

The Microsoft usbser version is 5.1.2600.2180.

Since your last msg, I reinstalled Arduino version 1.0.5 and changed the COM port number in the Device Manager. Now, both Arduino and Device Manager are using COM1. The result was: no improvement.

Is the above version correct?

You should try updating your version of usbser.sys to a more recent version:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943198

Or you could try upgrading XP to SP3.

Com1 is probably a com port that is built into your system.
You don't want to share the same com port with a physical com port and the Arduino virtual com port.

After you update usbser.sys, I would uninstall the Arduino com port in device manager and then try to re-install again.

One by one, I am trying everthing.
Per your message, I installed SP3 and the other KB. The other KB was not necessary, because SP 3 was more current.
The result was no luck.
I used "Repair" from my Win XP disk. Also, I download and installed 119 updates.
Still, no success. Code 10 - driver does not start.
I changed COM from 1 to 4.
Still, no success.
I then tried what I thought would surely work. I use a brand-new Arduino board. After rebooting, I got the Plug and Play tune and a dialog box to install a new driver, which was successful. After compiling and uploading the Blink program, the results were no success -- Code 10 again.
Now, I have 2 boards, which do not work. What is going wrong?

What is the Hardware ID for the Arduino in device manager?

Go to Device Manager
Right Click comm port
Select Properties
Select Details tab
Change Property to Hardware Ids
What is displayed under Value?

The value is "usb\vid_2341&pid_0001"

I do not know what this is.

This indicates you have an Arduino UNO version 1 or 2.

I can't think of any reason why a working Arduino would not work properly after simply loading the Blink sketch.

Sorry, I am all out of ideas.

The problem still exists and I am open to anyone with suggestions.
Today, I purchased DirectUpdate and updated all of my outdated drivers. It did not work. I had a chat session with their tech. He refunded me the purchase price and suggested to verify the bootloader. I do not know how to do this.
Is there anyway to delete all drivers or isolate conflicts with other drivers? What is an IRQ conflict?

For the benefit of some folks, I discovered that Arduino programs are NOT backwards compatible. Several current Arduino versions did not work with two UNOs. After Larry Davis told me that I had an Arduino 1 or 2, I tried an older version 20. It was successful on my brand new device but NOT my old device. I surmise the old UNO is broke.

Just wanted you to know that I have an UNO R1 that I have used with every version of Arduino IDE from 20 to 1.0.5 on both OSX and Windows XP/7 without any of the issues you are seeing.

You are definitely seeing some strange issues, but this is not the norm, in my experience.