Arduino UNO is behaving a bit mysteriously [[ PLEASE read the whole post ]]

Hello World, Myself Aditya. I am studying in std 9 and I have done lot of arduino projects successfully. My Arduino is giving OUTPUTS correctly but is not processing INPUTS very well also the Serial communication is affected. I have made projects using digital sensors, servo motors and stepper motors. Recently I wanted to try a project that will measure time between two digital sensor inputs [ by state change detection] but it didn't work as expected. My Arduino UNO gave signals to the Serial port that my button was 'on' but in reality it wasn't. I thought that the problem was in my code so I tried the StateChangeDetection code in examples provided in the IDE. But it gave the same OUTPUT. So I removed all the wires connected to the Arduino but still I was getting a message in the Serial port that my button was 'on' for approximately 5 seconds and then messaging stopped. I banged the Arduino on the table [I banged it very lightly] but when I banged it on the table it again started sending messages on the Serial port saying that the button was 'on' but again it was not 'on'. There has been no problem with the Arduino till my previous Servo motor controlling project.

My questions:

1] Do I need to change my Arduino? 2] My Arduino is duplicate. Is the problem because of that? 3] Which projects would you suggest for a newbie of my age? I would really appreciate if someone would give a solution for this mysterious problem.

.....AU

Hi,

I would try a simple sketch that set all pins to output and low, then use a meter to check each pin.

Then I'd set all pins to high and check each pin again.

If you don't have a meter then a 220 ohm resitor and LED connected to one input pin and check all of the other pins for output.

Then set all pins to input, check one pin at a time sending the 'state' to the serial monitor and tap a wire from the 5v pin onto the input pin under test, probably through a 220 ohm resistor just to be sure it's safe.

I assume your project isn't using pins D0 or D1, as these are used to connect to the serial monitor?

You ask for projects suitable for your age but we don't know how old you are.

Peter

Peterd51: Hi,

I would try a simple sketch that set all pins to output and low, then use a meter to check each pin.

Then I'd set all pins to high and check each pin again.

If you don't have a meter then a 220 ohm resitor and LED connected to one input pin and check all of the other pins for output.

Then set all pins to input, check one pin at a time sending the 'state' to the serial monitor and tap a wire from the 5v pin onto the input pin under test, probably through a 220 ohm resistor just to be sure it's safe.

I assume your project isn't using pins D0 or D1, as these are used to connect to the serial monitor?

You ask for projects suitable for your age but we don't know how old you are.

Peter

I have tried all the steps you have mentioned above but it didn't work out. And I have not used D0 or D1. Age :13 yrs Is this a serious hardware problem or not ? Because if it is I will have to order a new Arduino

Hi,

sounds like it's damaged hardware and you'll need another Arduino to test against. Could you borrow one?

If the 'other' one works with your sketch then it will prove that your original one is faulty.

The 'clones' are cheap enough to have 2 - 3 in hand for this sort of checking.

A lot of people use an Uno for producing their code then put it on a Nano to be used. So they usually have a few Nanos in the box.

Can you post your code here (plus a wiring diagram, drawn on paper and photographed if you have to) so that other people can try it to see if it's working for them?

Peter

@Peterd51

This is more or less a cross post

Hello Peter,

I checked the problems with my friend's arduino and his arduino was working properly.

So I guess that I will have to buy a new and a Original Arduino