Arduino uno - MCU getting hot and cant upload code.. Urgent help!!

Hey guys,

I am using an Arduino Uno REV 3, board… I have been having this for the past two years… and now i am facing this problem…
When i connect my board to my pc, it gets recognized, but when i try to upload the blink code, i am receiving this error:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

i have tried this on both my windows & desktop and win 8 laptop. I get the same error…
Also, The mcu(Atmega 328p) becomes hot(not warm) after 10 minutes, though i dont feel anything on the voltage regulator…

Please help me sort out…
Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Buy a new one, yours is broken.

But.. cant i change just the mcu alone.. or do something else than replacing the whole board..???

Maybe if you have some soldering skills and test equipment..
Have you done the tests suggested in the sticky post at the start of this section? In particular the loop back test?

If it is an Uno R3 as you say, you could just replace the Atmega328 with one with the Uno bootloader already installed. Disconnect any other circuits from the uno before you test it, just in case.

Paul

Grumpy_Mike:
Maybe if you have some soldering skills and test equipment…
Have you done the tests suggested in the sticky post at the start of this section? In particular the loop back test?

Well, i have not tried those tests yet. but i just performed the loop back test as instructed… Shorted GND an RESET and TX-RX
And i opened the serial monitor. I typed few words and pressed enter, it got displayed again…
i have posted a pic for ur reference.

loopbck test.PNG

PaulRB:
If it is an Uno R3 as you say, you could just replace the Atmega328 with one with the Uno bootloader already installed. Disconnect any other circuits from the uno before you test it, just in case.

Paul

Paul, Do You think it will work, by replacing a new mcu, with bootloader...??

Can't say for certain, but what other part could you replace, other than the whole uno?

If the new chip starts to get warm running the blink sketch, switch off immediately, remove the chip and throw away the uno (I mean dispose of it responsibly!). Hopefully you will have saved the chip and can use it as a spare or in a future project.

PS. If you or a friend have a working Arduino of some kind, you could just buy a blank Atmega328 and load the bootloader yourself. Theee are tutorials around for that, just Google for one.

Well, i cant replace any other part in the board, other than the mcu, coz i dont trust my soldering skills to tinker around..
So, i will try getting a atmega 328 with a bootloader..

Thanks for ur help!