Arduino Uno not recognized

Dear users of Arduino,

I recently started using Arduino, I bought a starter kit with the Arduino Uno. It worked fine for a few weeks, but right now I start to experience issues which, according to Google, a lot of users are experiencing. My board isn't being recognized by the computer. When I try to upload something to the board in Arduino 1.6.5. I get the following error:

avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM3": Het systeem kan het opgegeven bestand niet vinden.

The last part is Dutch for 'The system can't find the given file'. I have tried a lot of solutions which I found on Google, for instance trying to update the drivers from the device manager. I also deleted Arduino and all the drivers and installed it again. Nothing seems to fix the problem.

When I plug in the Arduino a little pop up shows up which says that the USB device is not being recognized. In the device manager it says that the Arduino is an 'unknown USB device'. I'm really running out of ideas/options so I hope someone can help me because I really want to start building great project with my Arduino Uno..

Thanks in advance!

So, you just need to install the right drivers... Which Arduino did you buy? Linksssss please

I bought a legitimate Arduino Uno from the Starters Kit from this website. I have tried to install almost every driver for the Arduino Uno I could find online, but that didn’t fix the problem.

Then the drivers in “C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\drivers” should do the trick. Just go to the Device manager, update the drivers of the usb serial and select that folder.

I've already tried that multiple times. It tells me that the best drivers for the device are already installed. Yet it doesn't recognize my Arduino Uno.

Then first click uninstall (in device manager for the adapter) and select the option to delete the drivers. Then try again.

Thanks for your reply Septillion! I also tried that multiple times. I also tried to update the drivers manually in the device manager. Most of the times I get error code 43 or error code 10 (device cannot start). I've almost spend 5 hours on fixing this problem but I can't seem to find the cause. I also tried it with a different cable and on a different computer, still the same problem occurs.

Buy another Arduino and see if you get the same problem. If the second one works you know the problem resides on the original board. If the second one also is not recognized then it's on the computer side. Maybe the port? Try Port 4. You should have a back up Arduino anyway for the day when you blow out a pin.

Or try another computer.

With an original Arduino the original drivers should install. Code 10 I only know from PL2302 USB to serial adapters.

But yeay, order a second Arduino in China isn’t a bad idea :stuck_out_tongue:

I tried it on a third computer today, still the same thing. It doesn't matter how I want to install the drivers, Windows just won't let me do it.. So as you guys mentioned before, it must be a hardware problem. Something on the board must be broken. I'm going to order a new one and see if the problem is fixed. I keep you posted! Thanks for the replies!

So I bought a new Arduino Uno today, and it worked! I must have broken my other one, but I have no idea how it happened. Thanks for all the replies! :)

Having more than one Arduino is a good idea. See if you can fix the bad one so you will have a spare: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Restore-the-Arduino-UNO-R3-ATmega16U2-Firmw/

Yeay, I think I have more Arduino Pro Mini's laying around then I have underwear... :p