Arduino Uno Rev 3 +Ethernet + RF

Hello,
I am new to the Arduino community. We currently have a Sensaphone to monitor the floats on our livestock water troughs. I am wanting use an Arduino at each trough with an RF Tranceiver sending float data (NC/NO) back to a central Arduino and then have it send an email if a float status changes. I just received my Uno in the mail today and the Arduino Ethernet Shield is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I have read some posts saying there are problems using an ethernet shield and a radio module at the same time. Is it possible to accomplish what I am trying to do?
Thanks in advance,
Craig

Just to clarify, are you getting something for ethernet or something for WIFI?

Paul

Paul,
I ordered the Arduino Ethernet Shield 2. I have not ordered any radio components but am looking at the ones with the external antenna (believe they are NRF24L01+).
Thanks,
Craig

I'd think that an ESP8... or the like with built in wireless connectivity and infrastructure would be a better base for the remote stations. Where do you need Ethernet for?

My idea was to have transmit units at/near the water troughs and the receiver unit at the house plugged into the router. In the event of a low water level the ethernet shield would send an email alert.
Thanks,
Craig

Do you really mean cable bound Ethernet?

I am not 100% sold on it having to be hard wired. I just don't want to have to pay for a SIM card monthly. Ultimately, I just want a unit at each trough (no internet, hence the RF) to communicate with a device with internet and send an email alert.
Thanks,
Craig

One RF24 receiver can listen to up to 6 senders (more with networking).

Robin2's simple rf24 tutorial is a good introduction.

LORA would be a good choice if WiFi is out of range. With low data rates you can probably get a mile or more range. (Note, I haven't played with LORA yet. It's on my to-do list).

I have looked at LoRa and read Robin's tutorial, I am just waiting on a few more components to come in the mail. I have read a few posts on the internet about conflicts with an RF module and the ethernet shield at the same time. I read one (https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=396897.0) indicating it will work with an Uno, and a few other saying it should work with a Mega. Thank you all for your insights.
Craig