Arduino Uno serial to Android tablet but tablet needs power

Hey folks,
I have a USB OTG capable Android tablet that I would like to use to display the Arduino serial monitor but still need to power the tablet (a semi-permanent installation/display). Is there an easy-peasy Y-USB OTG cable for that? I've been looking but haven't had much luck.
Other ideas?

-Mac

It sounds like the tablet has no power jack then, I have never seen that. You might consider ditching the cable and send that Data via bluetooth instead. $3-50.

Thanks, Nick. I replied yesterday but I guess it didn't take.
Bluetooth is a good idea and one I'm considering. The wife also has an old Netbook that can run the Arduino IDE (barely) so that's an option but I'd have to lengthen the cables to the screen to get the CPU and screen separated. It would also be capable of running Inbetwino which might come in handy.
I just thought a tablet would be more elegant, ya know?

Your wife's old laptop does not have to run the IDE. You program your Arduino on your current system and next hook it up to your wife's old laptop. On the laptop you run a terminal program (it might come with hyperterm as part of windows (or use a 3rd party one like putty or realterm) or has minicom in case of linux).

A Netbook should be just fine to run the IDE, or as proper terminal. I use an ancient Dell 505 with 8 gb CF card as a hard drive. What more do you need?

A tablet is also an excellent partner - via Bluetooth, indeed much superior to the serial monitor, because you can record the data with a proper terminal and even display it graphically. The serial monitor is really only for debugging and not for serious work.

Sorry for not getting back sooner, I'm buried in this project.

I believe more context is in order. I'm a professional sculptor and art educator. I'm also a "process" guy; meaning I like analog art; drawing, painting, lost-wax metal casting. But I dig technology and was handed a challenge to incorporate it in my work. Hence the latest artwork in my sculpture series (The Classics) titled "iRobot" (based on Asimov's "I, Robot" (and the Eando Binder short story).

Recent_Work The link is at the bottom of the page if interested.

I have the figure and cell phone spine about complete and am currently working on the Head rotation mechanism (servo/bearing). I've found and modified a two-ultrasonic sensor motion following mechanism and code for the head.

The pedestal, roughly a 20wx20dx36h base will need at least one access panel so I can access the electronics inside so I thought it might be cool to show the serial feedback on a screen in the access panel. One would display the distance (in inches) to the closest viewer. And if it were a touch screen tablet, I could reprogram the arduino (attached to the back of the tablet behind the face) without disassembling the sculpture.

Also, I've been looking at what is possible using Inbetwino and, although most of it is over my head, I'm quite impressed and already conceiving of new ways this sculpture could interact with the audience. To this end, I've found a couple of Windows-based tablets that have separate serial and charging ports and are OTG capable.

I'm not sold on the idea of having a screen, or screens, visible to the audience though. I don't want to distract from the sculpture or have it looking more like a kiosk than art. You know?

Opinions appreciated.

I may have found my answer.

I ordered the cable and will report back with my findings.

Macadoo:
Hey folks,
I have a USB OTG capable Android tablet that I would like to use to display the Arduino serial monitor but still need to power the tablet (a semi-permanent installation/display). Is there an easy-peasy Y-USB OTG cable for that? I've been looking but haven't had much luck.
Other ideas?

I have done exactly that by plugging a Bluetooth adapter into the program port on a Pro Mini and then using Blueterm on the Android tablet to monitor the Arduino.

The tablet is just left powered by it normal USB connection.

Works well.

So you didn't need a bluetooth shield for the arduino?