Arduino UNO ss(pin 10) SPI

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and to Arduino, currently I am working on a school project and I was looking for an explanation concerning SPI. I am building my own set of flight controls for an existing drone, pretty much much most of the project is done. I am using the Arduino uno and SPI with a wireless transceiver. Everything is working, my flight controls are operated using the 4 potentiometers. It is extremely difficult to operate, so I am looking into using a DualShock3 controller with the Arduino. I will be following this build: https://barrettsprojects.wordpress.com/2013/01/12/usb-host-shield-demonstration/.

Now my problem is, the Arduino USB host shield for the controller uses SPI as well. I need to understand how to use SPI with two slave devices. Not too sure if this is correct, I read that the MISO, MOSI and SCK will remain the same for both devices. But the SS must be different for each device. Again, I am not sure if this is correct, please correct me if wrong.

I was also wondering what is so special about pin 10(SS pin) on the UNO. I tired using the PWM pins 3, 5 and 6 as the SS pin and the drone worked perfectly. I would be great if someone one could explain the difference between using pin 10 vs using any of the other PWM pins for SS.

Any other advice concerning my project or SPI is greatly appreciated too.

Thanks for your feedback.

Read this excellent discussion by Mr. Gammon: http://www.gammon.com.au/spi See "Slave Select" section. Nothing magical about pin 10.

Two slaves need two select pins on the Arduino.

rakul_93: my flight controls are operated using the 4 potentiometers. It is extremely difficult to operate, so I am looking into using a DualShock3 controller with the Arduino.

Why not use two joysticks instead of four pots?

Adding a PS3 controller sure seems like a lot extra complication.

I posted photos of a couple joysticks I like here. As I mentioned in the other thread, there are lots of other game controllers which are easier to use with an Arduino than a PS3 controller.

What frequency is your flight controller? The Bluetooth PS3 interface could interfere with your flight radio.

A Wii Nunchuck could be used a quadcopter flight controller. I used one to fly a RC helicopter. I used the accelerometer on the Nunchuck to control the throttle and yaw. I think I prefer the 3-axis joystick over a Nunchuck though.