Arduino UNO Stops Working in 64-Bit OS's

Hi, everyone. When I first got my Arduino UNO, I plugged it into my machine, running Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit. It worked out of the box for about ten minutes, but then Ubuntu stopped recognizing it. I restarted my computer a few times, but this didn't fix my problem. I couldn't figure out the problem, so I decided to try it out on my Windows 7 64-bit machine. I installed the UNO driver in Device Manager, and it worked for ten minutes. Then, Windows stopped recognizing it. I tried to reinstall the drivers in Device Manager, but the Arduino did not appear. Does anyone know what the problem is or how to fix it? Right now, I'm downloading the Arduino IDE on my Mac, so I'll report back on how well that works. Thanks

My Uno works OK with Win7 x64, on my laptop.

When you say it works "OK", do you mean that it barely works or that it works perfectly?

I restarted my computer a few times, but this didn’t fix my problem

This sounds much more like a problem with the hardware (the PC and/or the Uno) than a software/OS issue. If the problem really was 64-Bit OS’s, it seems strange you would see issues after a reboot.

When you say it “stops working”, what does that mean? What were you doing with the Uno when it “stopped working.”

I am able to upload sketches to it for about 10 or 15 minutes, and the Arduino IDE stops giving its serial port (COM3 on Windows) as an option. The Arduino is still receiving power from the computer. I think that it is 64-bit OS's, because when I tried it on someone else's 32-bit Mac OS X installation, it worked fine. Right now, I'm installing Windows 32-bit on my laptop to see if that works. I'll report back later.

Did you look in Device Manager to see if the virtual com port was still there?

Again, the OSes do not seem suspect. Since there isn't really a driver for the Uno, it seems strange that the way Windows and Linux implemented the usb modem (how the Uno appears to the OS) would be so similar. Also, there haven't been that many other reports of people having trouble with 64-bit OSes.

What are you doing on the Uno? Are you using the serial port in your sketches?

When I connect the usb cable to the computer and Uno the computer does not recognize the usb device. In fact 95% of the time it is as though i have connected nothing because the computers do not see the device The reason i thing the Uno may have and issue is that it does this on 4 different machines. I cannot upload code or select a com because the software will connect only to a device recognized as being installed.

On rare occassions the device will appear and I can upload code. So I have been uploading code when ever it is recognized and disconnecting the device. Just example code for now. As long as I do not leave it connected it usually will reconnect. I just got the uno a few days ago and it has been acting this way from the beginning. I would like to be able to eventually write to the monitor but will not be able to do this is the connection fails randomly. It seems as though there is a hardware issue with the Arduino because i have no issues with any of the computers' usb connections with any other devices.

Sorry I forgot to to say that it doesn NOT appear in the device mangager under ports when it fails to be recognized as being connected.