arduino Uno sufficient (??) number of pins

Hi!

For a project I want to make a real-time clock with LCD display that will control 3 solenoid motors striking at bells. I need help determining if Arduino Uno has sufficient number of pins for this as I am too inexperienced to determine it myself. Components? For RTC I was suggested to use:

As LCD I have chosen the cheapest as I only want to see the time for debugging purposes. Later I might make a real clock out of it, but for now...

3 transistors for controlling the solenoids:

3 Large push-pull solenoids:

Now I have seen people using 1 or 2.2 kOhm resistors. Is there any difference here?
http://www.arduino.cc/playground/uploads/Learning/solenoid_driver.pdf
Also, I think that 1A diode 1N4004 (or 4007) would be too weak for the job (or at least not safe). I want to be on the safe side. Any suggestions please?

Now I have seen that some components need special pins, like "SCL/SCA pins (usually analog pins A4 and A5)" for RTC. I dont want to pay >100€ for components and then find out that some other device, like LCD, also needs them and I will be at a stall.

I have seen around:
LCD - 6 pins
RTC - 4 pins
Solenoids - 3 pins

Will Arduino Uno be able to support that?

Thank you for your help!

Yes, I think the Uno will work perfectly with this project, and you may be able to find example code for the motors online to make your life easier.

RTC - 4 pins

You only need 2x pins (SCL/SDA) from the arduino the other 2x being VCC & GND. The pins used for the LCD & MOSFET will not clash with the SCL/SDA pins.

Riva:

RTC - 4 pins

You only need 2x pins (SCL/SDA) from the arduino the other 2x being VCC & GND. The pins used for the LCD & MOSFET will not clash with the SCL/SDA pins.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info!

Terraviper-5:

Riva:

RTC - 4 pins

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info!

I forgot to say you would need more if you wanted to use the interrupt/square wave output pin or the 32K output pin but 2x pins is enough if your polling for the time.

Terraviper-5:
Hi!

For a project I want to make a real-time clock with LCD display that will control 3 solenoid motors striking at bells. I need help determining if Arduino Uno has sufficient number of pins for this as I am too inexperienced to determine it myself. Components? For RTC I was suggested to use:
alpha-crucis.com
As LCD I have chosen the cheapest as I only want to see the time for debugging purposes. Later I might make a real clock out of it, but for now...
alpha-crucis.com
3 transistors for controlling the solenoids:
alpha-crucis.com
3 Large push-pull solenoids:
alpha-crucis.com
Now I have seen people using 1 or 2.2 kOhm resistors. Is there any difference here?
Arduino Playground - HomePage
Also, I think that 1A diode 1N4004 (or 4007) would be too weak for the job (or at least not safe). I want to be on the safe side. Any suggestions please?

Now I have seen that some components need special pins, like "SCL/SCA pins (usually analog pins A4 and A5)" for RTC. I dont want to pay >100€ for components and then find out that some other device, like LCD, also needs them and I will be at a stall.

I have seen around:
LCD - 6 pins
RTC - 4 pins
Solenoids - 3 pins

Will Arduino Uno be able to support that?

Thank you for your help!

Yes an uno can interface with all that, the Solenoids will require there own fairly beefy power supply and and protection similar to a relay. Since you mentioned cheap the site you linked to pricing is horrid 17 pounds for a rtc is just silly.

Riva:
I forgot to say you would need more if you wanted to use the interrupt/square wave output pin or the 32K output pin but 2x pins is enough if your polling for the time.

Yeah, for now 2 is enough, I don't plan on using a square wave output just yet.

silasmoeckel:
Yes an uno can interface with all that, the Solenoids will require there own fairly beefy power supply and and protection similar to a relay. Since you mentioned cheap the site you linked to pricing is horrid 17 pounds for a rtc is just silly.

I thought that a schottky diode is for protection?
Im trying to find a diode stronger than 1N4004, because I dont think 1A is enough for a solenoid.

I know its somewhat expensive, but I cannot get all the stuff I need in my country, and if I order everything in one store instead of multiple I pay lower shipping. Also, don't you mean euros? Because in pounds that translates to 14.25 £.