Arduino UNO w/2.8 in touchscreen display and 2.4 GHz transceiver

I'm working on a group project through school to make a home energy monitoring system, where an Arduino UNO with a 2.8 in touchscreen would be the controller, and it would communicate with a couple sensors via transceivers. The problem we're having right now is that the touchscreen takes up nearly every pin the UNO has, and covers the rest. This leaves no room for a transceiver. The only two options I can come up with is to use a breadboard as a junction point between the UNO and touchscreen and transceiver, or solder the transceiver connections to the back of the UNO. The former would greatly increase the size of the project, we really just want a small handheld device. The latter seems much cleaner and more practical, but seems tedious. Is there another option to our dilemma? I didn't think this would be an issue when I bought this touchscreen, unfortunately it is though. Please help.

Cheers, Bill

I suggest you take a look at the Moteino, offered by Low Power Labs, it provides basically an Atmega 328, programmable in the Arduino world, and a built-in transceiver. The transceiver does cost some pins, but those are the pins used for the MOSI/MISO/SCK interface. They can be reused if you have another system (like your LCD display) which uses that interface. The whole unit is about twice the size of a postage stamp, and the price is very reasonable, when you consider that your getting an tiny little Uno and an integrated transceiver.

They also make a Mega version, slightly larger, with a lot of I/O pins. I'm using a number of these units to create a home monitoring network.

Good luck.