Arduino Uno Wifi Shield - not present

Dear all,

I kindly ask for your help. After updating the firmware (I followed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sKAU-rU37U&t=295s) my wifi shield can not be detected anymore. I did everything as it says in the video and I used firmware files of IDE 1.8.6 and later I also tried with 1.0.2. Nothing works. Each time that I try simple Arduino examples such as WifiWebServer it says that Wifi Shield is not present. Before I updated the firmware it was working. And yes, I didn't forget to remove J3 jumper after the update. Thank you

Ohh yeah, I am using the original version of the shield. Exactly the same as https://store.arduino.cc/arduino-wifi-shield

anyone can help? Or I just threw away my money on this useless shield

Clearly something went wrong when updating the firmware - either the new firmware is meant to do something different and use different libraries, or there was a problem in the updating process. Do you have the old firmware to go back to?

I don't hear frequent mention of the wifi shield around here - I get the impression that it's not particularly popular, at least among people who post on these forums (I think most use $3 ESP8266 modules to get wifi access, or use things like ESP8266/ESP32 directly, which have builtin wifi), so it may be a while before someone who knows the answer sees this.

Thank you DrAzzy. After struggling for 3 days I finally managed to update it! So I will describe how I have done it in the lines below:

The first thing that I noticed was that I always had 8 successful passes and 0 fails. After checking out a lot of websites/forums I noticed that all the people that successfully updated the shield received 11 successful passes and 0 fails and maybe 1 warning - in comparison with 8 passes and 0 warnings of mine. The 2nd thing that I noticed was that there were a lot of people talking about bright blue led turning on after loading first file "wifi_dnld.elf" - and that in my case wasn't true. There was no blue led turned on.

So here is the solution that worked for me:

I put both files wifi_dnld.elf and wifiHD.elf into the same easily accessible map. (C:\temp).

Next, I downloaded FLIP and updated its drivers - it is a well-known procedure so just google it.

Now, here is the tricky part. What I did was that I plugged my wifi shield (with no jumper on-because I simply forgot) over the cable with my PC and after navigating at the CMD to C/Program Files/Atmel/Flip 3.4.7/bin/ I executed the whole command: batchisp.exe -device AT32UC3A1256 -hardware usb -operation erase f memory flash blankcheck loadbuffer "C:\temp\wifi_dnld.elf" program verify start reset 0

There weren't any "enters" or anything like that in the command and after loading the first command I saw the blue led shining. And also there were 11 passes - normally were 8. So, now I unplugged my shield from the PC. Took off the jumper and plugged it back in. After that I used the same command but for different file: batchisp.exe -device AT32UC3A1256 -hardware usb -operation erase f memory flash blankcheck loadbuffer "C:\temp\wifiHD.elf" program verify start reset 0

And that was it. I unplugged the jumper, put the board on uno and here it is! Working and updated version of Firmware. I can even use Blynk with it now. I hope this saves some nerves and time in the future for someone.

Kind regards, Greg

Bam! Glad you got it sorted!