Arduino Uno with "bigger" stepper motor.

Hi,

I'm brand new in Arduino. Decently skilled in coding, not complete newby in schematics and electronic.

And I got in mind to build a project in which (seems better to choose) stepper motor should keep in horizontal (or any other desired) position a 3-4kg bar with quite small inertia.
I didn't decide yet on mechanics (will the motor be directly connected to a bar or will there be a belt or etc...) but I'd like to chaise best price/quality solution. (by quality I assume reaction time of the system on angle change and speed of correcting it)

I did read-up on stepper motors a bit. And I did get some kind of impression of Arduino Uno.

Please correct me if I'm wrong when assuming that there is no way that Uno can directly control the motor that I'd need? There are those "demo" motors that are included in different packages which Arduino can control, but clearly motor I'll need to use going to need more power and there for the motor of my choice should have a controller, right? And then Arduino will control the controller? E.g. telling it to do like 5 step this direction, then 3 steps back, etc. Is it right way of thinking?

I'm planing to start with ADXL345 as a sensor or some more advanced (GY-85 sensor module ITG3200/ITG3205 ADXL345 HMC5883L MODULE sensor) version of it. Probably these sensors will not be good but I need to start with something. Basically accuracy of 0.5 - 1 degree should be ok for me. I'm sure better sensors will be pricy.

But motor wise I'm thinking of using this one (after doing some newbie calculations) :
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/NEMA23-geared-stepper-motor-12v_60688387368.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.529.4668380ahNz1ek

Those, hopefully, come with own controller.
And here I come to most important question.
Do I understand picture correctly that Arduino Uno will be able to control that kind of controllers? Or am I on totally wrong path?

I guess my post is more like "yet another new kid in the block" :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
So apologies for probably quite dummy questions :slight_smile:

with kind regards

An Uno cannot power a stepper directly. You will need a stepper driver. To choose a driver the stepper coil current must be known. The posted advert does not seem to supply that info so you will have to find it before choosing the driver.

Stepper motor basics

These links may help

Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code

...R

If you look at the bottom of the ad there are two tables that show all the motor and gearbox spec's.

detown:
If you look at the bottom of the ad there are two tables that show all the motor and gearbox spec's.

Well they don't seem to give actual gear ratios...

Basically a gearbox allows you to trade torque for speed and vice-versa. You need to have an idea of the
max speed you require as well as the torque needed.

However with steppers the holding torque is not the useful value, dynamic torque is, and its often not given
(if it is it will be in the form of graphs against speed, with multiple graphs for different supply voltages).

stepper motor should keep in horizontal (or any other desired) position a 3-4kg bar with quite small inertia.

You mean small moment of inertia? How small? Without knowing the geometry of the setup its impossible to know the static or dynamic torque requirement. Can you elaborate?

I agree, that table is pretty confusing. Typical Chinese translation.
Look like the vendor is looking for bulk sales rather than one offs.
Think I would be looking for another place to buy my motors from.

MarkT:
You mean small moment of inertia? How small? Without knowing the geometry of the setup its impossible to know the static or dynamic torque requirement. Can you elaborate?

Picture should clarify it (I'll try to attach it). But basically it is going to be a bar 5cm x 5cm under 3kg, might actually be even 2kg, that being turned on axis that goes nearly through center of weight.

This picture should clarify it.

groundFungus:
An Uno cannot power a stepper directly. You will need a stepper driver. To choose a driver the stepper coil current must be known. The posted advert does not seem to supply that info so you will have to find it before choosing the driver.

Stepper motor basics

Is this the driver you are talking about?
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/OEM-ODM-Free-Shipping-OEM-ODM_62439734674.html?spm=a27ai.12350312.valid-supplier.11.OetQJl

And if so, then do I get it right that according to detail “operating current range: 0 ~ 36mA”
It should fit model “PHB35W34-436” from this page, right? (as there same current)
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/0-9degree-NEMA-14-12V-stepper_60733188310.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.87.559e380a1jXwty

Of course I’m not sure will this motor provide the dynamic I’m looking for. And also I can’t really figure out will that holding torque be enough to prevent bar self moving, but at least I could start with this cheap components.

bar.png

khanoukaev:
This picture should clarify it.

I see no picture. See this Simple Image Posting Guide

Is this the driver you are talking about?

The L298 is the driver I said you should NOT get.

And if so, then do I get it right that according to detail "operating current range: 0 ~ 36mA"
It should fit model "PHB35W34-436" from this page, right?

It seems to me that is not a very powerful motor and your Original Post hints at the need for a powerful motor.

Before asking us for advice about a motor you need to tell us the torque and speed that you require. Also, how the motor will be connected to the load.

...R

For those steppers the A4988 or DRV8825 drivers would be appropriate. The L298 drivers are not good stepper drivers and should be avoided in favor of more modern stepper drivers. Pay particular attention to the instructions for setting coil current.