Arduino Used Together with BOE and BS2

Hello, I am doing a school project for an engineering course. My group is making a medicine pill reminder. We are setting it up to have an electric lock, but most of the lock systems use Arduino. However, we are more used to using the Board of Education (BOE) and BASIC Stamp 2(BS2). We already have the systems and therefore want to use what we already have. We have the Arduino board, and an USB to Serial Cord and the BOE. What we need to know, is if we can run ALL of the Arduino process on the BOE and the steps needed to achieve this. (i.e. Is there a certain process or program needed?) We are particularly interested in the keypad library/tutorial. http://playground.arduino.cc/code/KeypadIt is important to be able to use the libraries from Arduino. However, could we recreate the libraries in PBASIC based off of the Arduino ones.

EDDGroupA: We have the Arduino board, and an USB to Serial Cord and the BOE. What we need to know, is if we can run ALL of the Arduino process on the BOE

I'm not completely sure what you mean by this but if I do understand then the answer is no. Arduino uses wiring, a programmers library written in C.

We are particularly interested in the keypad library/tutorial. http://playground.arduino.cc/code/KeypadIt is important to be able to use the libraries from Arduino. However, could we recreate the libraries in PBASIC based off of the Arduino ones.

I just took a very quick look at the PBASIC reference manual and I don't think it would be too hard to make that work. I don't know which version of the Arduino keypad library you are using but in the later ones I included advanced features for other library writers to take advantage of. Those would, and could, be removed.

I also noticed that PBASIC has a button function which would help eliminate and simplify some of the code from the keypad library.

Another thing to note is that the latest keypad library reads multiple keypresses at the same time. I'm not sure you need that functionality and you could save a bit of memory by reading only single key presses.

Anyway, that's a lot of talking just to tell you that, yes, you should be able to use the same techniques in PBASIC to read a matrix keypad. If you would like some help I can provide ideas and direction for writing a keypad driver. You will have to write the PBASIC code because you have it and I don't. ;) However, I think the basic function of reading a keypad using PBASIC could be completed in a day.

If you are interested you can find my email address at the top of the keypad.h file.