Arduino video playback

Hi everyone, this is my first post on the forum so if this is in the wrong section, I apologize.

I am using an Arduino Uno for a final project in my class. The goal is to have several touch sensors hooked up to metal plates so that users can press their hand on the plate. The signal from the plate would trigger the Arduino to send a message to the computer that is hooked up to it, find a video file associated with the correct analog input, and play the video file on an attached projector. Problem is, I can't seem to find any information on letting Arduino search a pc folder for a specific file in any of my google searches. I am either quite literally stupid, or I am just not searching the right terms for the results I want.

Does anyone have any advice for this?

Thanks!

I don't know how to do that either, but it seems like the "hard part" is the computer application, so this is more of a computer-programming question (Windows or OS X programming, etc.).

You can send (or receive) information over the USB/serial port, (or via Ethernet or Wi-Fi if you have the appropriate Arduino shield).

You need to write a program that will listen on the serial port, and launch the video player in response to the Uno sending a command to play something. Something could probably be thrown together in python fairly easily.

Thanks for the replies guys!

I am looking into pySerial to get my computer to read an arduino input from the serial port. Would anyone have any tips on the code side of things? I have never used python before. (And on top of that. I am only just learning to use arduino)

Thanks in advance!