Arduino web IR remote problem

Hi,

I have built a web based remote which I am integrating in my Arduino based domotica at home.

Programmatically it all works perfect I have a nice HTML 5 + js site which looks like the Windows 10 menu with active tiles.

I build the complete IR sending lib into the Arduino, it's capable of sending most protocols. But now the problem:

I connected the IR sender to the Arduino and it works. But the IR led has to be quite close to my audio / tv set in order to function. I even removed the resistor and the effect is the same. I connected the IR led on port D3 like http://openlgtv.org.ru/wiki/index.php/LG_TV_USB_IR-Hack_with_Arduino

I read that the Arduino supplies too little power and I need something like a capacitator. But I am still a totall n00b to electronics. Who can help me to boost my IR led?

Too Short distance is usually that the IR frequency is not exactly correct.

What IR sending library are you using? Some TV's are 38 Khz, some 36 etc..

See this on the ArduinoInfo.Info WIKI HERE:

and especially see Ken Sherriff 's site HERE:

Let us know what you find out...

I use:

/* IRLib.h from IRLib – an Arduino library for infrared encoding and decoding * Version 1.5 June 2014 * Copyright 2014 by Chris Young http://cyborg5.com */

With the the extra classes for sending RCMM, because I have a stupid mediabox which works with that. But I did not get the RCMM to work yet and that is a problem for later. Currently I control an old Philip 42" plasma which uses RC5. And an Audio Aero Capitole CD player / pre-amp which fortunately also accepts RC5.

I now mounted the IR led on a meter long cable and it's hanging on a piece of copper in front of my audio set. And that is not how it should stay :D I am thinking about mounting the IR led into my ceiling but then it should work a bit better.

But the fact that I am having the IR led connected to the Arduino without a resistor and it does not break down, means it gets to little power, right?

Should I specify that I use the same Arduino with an LCD screen and an enc28j60 module? But I do not use the Arduino as power supply.

I am having the IR led connected to the Arduino without a resistor

Is a very bad idea, you are damaging the Arduino.

and I need something like a capacitator.

No you need nothing like a capacitor, you need a transistor.

Grumpy_Mike: Is a very bad idea, you are damaging the Arduino. No you need nothing like a capacitor, you need a transistor.

Thanks!

Okay so I need a transistor and a resistor. How do I determine which ones?

Use a 2n2222 Don't forget the resistor in the base and the resistor in line with the LED. Use 1K for the base and 47R for the LED.

Thanks again, I will try that and post the results.