Arduino webserver without manual NAT configuration

Hi,

I want to make an embedded webserver based on Arduino with an Ethernet module/shield. The tricky part is that I need the server to works without any manual NAT configuration on the router/box:

1) You plug the Arduino on the box with a RJ45 cable

2) You go to http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX[:SOME_PORT_MAYBE] and you are directly on the arduino index.html page (where XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is your public IP)

Is that even possible ? If so, what kind of technology will I have to use ? I heard about uPnP, can that do the job ?

If you have any informations/links/tutorials that can helps me to achieve that, many thanks !

Cheers,

where XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is your public IP

You mean that it is the public IP address of the router. How, without configuring the router, is it supposed to know to forward the traffic for that port to the Arduino instead of the bit bucket?

Is that even possible ?

The answer should be obvious by now.

PaulS:

where XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is your public IP

You mean that it is the public IP address of the router. How, without configuring the router, is it supposed to know to forward the traffic for that port to the Arduino instead of the bit bucket?

That precisely my question ! Can uPnP create temporary NAT rules for that ?

The answer should be obvious by now.

It's not. Skype can achieve that !

That precisely my question ! Can uPnP create temporary NAT rules for that ?

Time for you to do some research on uPnP, whatever that is.

It's not. Skype can achieve that !

No. You can't just plug a computer in that the router knows nothing about, and expect Skype to work. The router learns about the new computer when it asks for an IP address. The router assigns one. Skype then uses a known port and a known IP address, supplied by the PC that Skype is running on. The router is configured to do NAT for all devices that connect to it.

PaulS: Time for you to do some research on uPnP, whatever that is.

If I'm here, it's precisely because I haven't found my answer on the big internet :)

No. You can't just plug a computer in that the router knows nothing about, and expect Skype to work. The router learns about the new computer when it asks for an IP address. The router assigns one. Skype then uses a known port and a known IP address, supplied by the PC that Skype is running on.

No you mixing up things, this is called DHCP and I have no problems with that (it's enabled by default on most routers on the market)

The router is configured to do NAT for all devices that connect to it.

Also no. The NAT rules in the router helps to do the "link" between public IP and locals IP related to a port (example: if you receive data on port 80, sends them to 192.168.0.4, if you receive data on port 21, sends them to 192.168.0.5, etc.)

Yeah maybe this isn't the right place to ask question "fully network related".

So, Dammoul... You got something? I'm trying to do/find the same thing.