Arduino Wi-Fi Hotspot

Hello! Does anyone know if it's possible to create a Wi-Fi hotspot out of an Arduino?

• Charles Fries

It will be a very slow hot spot.

You will require a wi-fi shield and another Ethernet shield. Then you will have to write a routing software stack.

All in all I think it is a rather ambitious project for what, in the end, can be only give very poor results.

Probably wiser to buy one at walmart for $40.

I would agree with that. :)

It's a valid use case to create a small wifi network so u can serve up config pages as part of a setup routine and then, once set up, the machine reboots and becomes a wifi client to the configured ssid.

I agree, routing would be slow, but a basic dhcp server + http server for config only is a good idea IMHO.

Any ideas on how to broadcast an ssid so others can connect? The dhcp and http should be easy enough after that.

In addition to bandwidth issues, I suspect that even a Mega or Due would be challenged to have enough memory to implement a full network stack (both ram and flash memory). A raspberry pi with a wifi card already has the stack implemented, and you would just have to setup the configuration. Or as others have said, just buying a pre-made router is an option. If you live in the USA, I went over to newegg.com and saw two pocket wifi routers meant for travel for $18.

bradwood: It's a valid use case to create a small wifi network so u can serve up config pages as part of a setup routine and then, once set up, the machine reboots and becomes a wifi client to the configured ssid.

I agree, routing would be slow, but a basic dhcp server + http server for config only is a good idea IMHO.

Any ideas on how to broadcast an ssid so others can connect? The dhcp and http should be easy enough after that.

I'm searching for a solution for this exact use case. Is anyone aware of any options?

Is anyone aware of any options?

See reply #2

AWOL: See reply #2

Reply #2 was addressing a much more complicated use case than the one bradwood posted in reply #4. The original question was about setting up an arduino as a wifi hotspot, which is why reply #2 talks about performance and the need for an additional ethernet shield.

bradwood's use case is one of accepting a connection simply to allow the device to be configured. E.g., it could serve up a single simple web page where the user could provide the ssid and password of the network the arduino needs to connect to. The arduino could then switch to client mode to connect to the configured ssid following a reboot.

Am I missing something here? Why would I need an ethernet shield for that?

I'm talking about this reply #2.

AWOL:
I’m talking about this reply #2.

Ah, right. Sorry, I was looking at reply #1.

Still, #2 is also addressing the wi-fi hotspot use case, where it’s cheaper and easier to buy one than to make one.

bradwood’s use case is trying to set up the device as a server temporarily in order to serve up a simple configuration web page. Do you think there’s no way of providing a configuration option via wi-fi apart from having an additional hardware device?

bergeo:
bradwood’s use case is trying to set up the device as a server temporarily in order to serve up a simple configuration web page.

It would IMO make sense to use a wired connection for that initial configuration, and that is the only approach I’ve seen used by commercial applications which tackle this problem.

PeterH: It would IMO make sense to use a wired connection for that initial configuration, and that is the only approach I've seen used by commercial applications which tackle this problem.

Thanks Peter. That was my initial thought, but it seemed like the wi-fi method would be a lot less cumbersome for users if doable. I guess I'll go back to investigating wired options.

Using USB serial would be the most obvious approach - if this is not for a consumer product it would only need a simple command line interface.

I'm still not convinced it's a good idea, but it seems that this 'WiShield 3.0' WiFi shield from ElecHouse supports ad-hoc mode which might make your proposed wireless approach possible.

http://www.elechouse.com/elechouse/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=90_186&products_id=2165

Thanks Peter. I'll see what I can figure out about using an ad-hoc network approach.

Hi, I have followed this trade in hope of finding a solution for my problem. Trying to create a product that will ultimately be a consumer product The project consist of an Arduino board controlling some relay (simple job) The problem is Configuration, I need to let anyone with a Laptop or a smart phone loginto the system, set it up and configure it for its own needs. Most Smartphone users do not have cables or expertise to setup connection to the system but all users know how to connect to a hotspot. Once they connected I would like them to go into a simple HTML page and configure the system. For that I need the Arduino to act as a Hotspot allow login and present the HTML page. I am looking for advice and opinion on this and will appreciate any help.

Is this similar to the Belkin WeMo?

in a way, it is, although I intend to use it for something else 8)

Here is a question along the same lines. I would like to set up an Arduino to act as a "router" meaning that I can use a cell phone to connect to it and then issue commands so that the Arduino can then execute those commands. Here is an example: I have 3 Arduinos connected in an I2C configuration. I want the master to have a WiFi shield. When I look at my smart phone, I want it to show an available network "Arduino" or whatever I name it. I would connect to that network and then start an app that would send commands to the Arduino. Once it receives the commands, it would then command the 2 slave Arduinos to perform the required actions. I want to use WiFi because it has a greater range than bluetooth as well as sometimes, bluetooth on my phone can be a bit flaky.

So, any suggestions?

One approach would be to put a web app on the Arduino - that way you don't need to create your own app for the phone.