Arduino with Basic Stamp 2

I'm wanting to use my arduino Mega2560 and my old BOEbot in conjunction with each other. How would one go about doing this? I've looked around, and tried to work something out myself, but with no success. The BS2 appears to communicate via SPI, but the BOE doesn't break out those pins except to the usb port. I suppose I could connect the Arduino to the BS2 like a sensor, but I'd prefer some way to directly control the servos on the bot--not sure if this is even possible as the board doesn't appear to have any drivers and I suspect the BS is configured to be able to drive servos directly.

Really, what I want is to connect an arduino to a genuine BOEbot, rather than buying the shield, since I already have a BOEbot.

From what I remember of the BS1/2 they didn't include hardware for SPI/ serial communications like that were 'bit banged' and could be performed on any of the data pins. I would also suggest looking at the Parallax site for their new Arduino BOEbot, it might give you some ideas.

The BS2 appears to communicate via SPI, but the BOE doesn't break out those pins except to the usb port.

Depends on exactly which pcb your Boebot is using, but the BS2 module itself has always used regular RS232 for comms to the IDE/compiler. The original carrier boards for the modules had a DB09 connector, and plugged into the PC's RS232 port. To plug them into newer PCs without RS232 requires use of a USB-to-RS232 adapter [$20].

I would think you can simply remove the original carrier board+BS2, and connect your Arduino bd directly to the Boebot drive servos and sensors.

I'm worried about current draw though; how would I determine if it'd break my arduino or not?