Arduino With Brushless Motor Speed Controls

Hi, Could someone please do me a GIANT favor and explain to me how I would be able to interface Arduino with a brushless motor speed controller. With brushless motors, you must have the speed controller otherwise they will not work. Thanks in advanced for the help!!! I really appreciate it!!! :)

Here is a picture of the motor and the speed controller:

hi

the quick answer is that you can use the code for R/C servo motors that is hanging around the forum. There are three pins on the motor driver connector: +6 (red, probably oK to connect to Arduino +5), GND (black, connect to Arduino GND) and signal (white, connect to PWM pin specified in the code.) The big wires that say "connect to battery" well they go to a really large battery. those little motors suck up a lot of current.

Once you have it wired up you just need to use one of the many different version of servo code available for the Arduino-- search for them above. in the search box.

D

Thanks Daniel for the quick reply!!! Before I go and buy one of these from ebay, I just want to ask if I would be able to connect the pins on the connector directly to Arduino, or will I need something such as a h-bridge or something like that? Also there is a maximum of 3 pwm outputs on Arduino, correct?, or is there a way now to get more pwm outputs on the same board?? Thanks!

You should be able to connect directly. The levels will be compatible. There are three hardware PWM controllers, but they are not suitable for driving that servo style speed controller signal as configured, but a servo library might reprogram them. It is also possible to drive servos on any output with the proper software library.

My apologies for being vague, I'm working on such a library now so I know what is possible, but not what is available.

hi

the quick answer is that you can use the code for R/C servo motors that is hanging around the forum. There are three pins on the motor driver connector: +6 (red, probably oK to connect to Arduino +5), GND (black, connect to Arduino GND) and signal (white, connect to PWM pin specified in the code.) The big wires that say "connect to battery" well they go to a really large battery. those little motors suck up a lot of current.

Once you have it wired up you just need to use one of the many different version of servo code available for the Arduino-- search for them above. in the search box.

D

Is it really ok to connect the red wire (+6V) to the arduino +5v?! I'm planning to make something similar but I thought you don't need to connect the red wire. Simply connect the black to ground and the white to digital output. In the servos, the red wire is a voltage input so it's ok to connect it to arduino's +5V (although it's better to use an external power supply), but in the speed controllers it's an output of +6V, normally to supply the receiver. So I don't think connecting an output of +6V to arduino's output of +5V is a very good thing to do, but I'm far from being an expert in electronics...

Ultra9k, you are correct. Most Radio Control electronic speed controllers provide a voltage on the red wire to power servos and receiver. This should not be connected an Arduino that is powered from a USB or 9v power source! The red wire from the speed controller should be cut or removed from the plastic shell and taped.

Note that most speed controllers supply 5 volts so it is also possible to power the Arduino from this if the board is not jumpered for USB power or connected to a 9v supply.