Arduino with ethernet shield translate telnet commands to a RS232 commands

I think this would be possible, I am just not exactly certain on how to start. I am trying to create an interface with a RANE sound system to control external equipment. The big problem is the language barrier between devices. The RANE sends out a stream of data every time I do anything in its interface which looks like this:

<C&62&1>
<C&62&0>
<S&0&0>
<S&0&1>

(breaking down the commands above: the first line is a 'C’ommand button, that is control number 62, and 1 is when the button is pushed and 0 is when the button is released. The S is for 'S’elect of control number 0, and the option that is selected.)

These commands would (I guess) be received into the Arduino via Netcat over an ethernet shield. I would want the Arduino to watch the netcat output and then run a Select case based on what it receives to then send a command to the HDMI matrix via RS232. The matrix does come with an RS-232 DB9 to 3-pin cable so I would just need to plug that into the Arduino.

These output commands would look like:

2V4.

(breaking down the above the 2 is the input and the 4 is the output, the command looks like this V[y]. The function is listed as "Switch input to one or more outputs [y].

I am looking to use the Arduino Mega 2560 with an ethernet Shield W5100, I would then plug the 3-pin DB9 into RX1 (19) , TX1 (18) and then Ground into the Digital ground next to pin 53.

Does this make sense?

start with ChatServer example of the Ethernet library. it is a Telnet server printing received data to Serial

You say " The matrix does come with an RS-232 DB9 to 3-pin cable so I would just need to plug that into the Arduino." -but it is not clear what that cable is.

Proper RS-232 uses + and - voltages that are not compatible with the TTL voltage levels used by an Arduino. Damage will almost certainly be done hooking RS-232 directly to an Arduino. There are a number of shields available many of which appear to use the max3232 chip, prices start from a few pence .

countrypaul:
Proper RS-232 uses + and - voltages that are not compatible with the TTL voltage levels used by an Arduino. Damage will almost certainly be done hooking RS-232 directly to an Arduino. There are a number of shields available many of which appear to use the max3232 chip, prices start from a few pence .

Oh.... thank you for that.
With having to use an Ethernet Shield, is there an RS232 shield that you would recommend that will work along side it? Would this one work (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LBDZ9WG)?
I assume at that point then I would use a null modem serial cable to talk to the 2 devices (if memory serves me correctly).

I've never used RS232 with an Arduino so have no experience of the various shields, as such I cannot fairly recommend one. Others on the forum should be able to if they read this thread.

Make sure you get one that will deal with the voltage from the Arduino Mega and not one that assumes 3.3v.

One option MAX3232 RS232 to TTL Serial Port Converter Module DB9 Connector MAX232|Integrated Circuits| - AliExpress