Arduino with Firmata and REALBasic? Suggestions?

For my ongoing project I need to control the Arduino from my Mac. I need to set pin mode, analog and digital r/w and a couple of custom commands.

After reading ”Messenger vs. Firmata vs. Bitlash” I'm leaning towards Firmata, mostly because it looks simple and fast, and it is the most commonly used standard? ...which I guess makes it more reliable and secure?

Bitlash and the other shells is a bit too much I think.

Are there any other libraries I should take a look at? Should I perhaps use Messenger and make my own custom commands?

For the software part I'm thinking of using REALBasic, which I stumbled across a couple of days ago. I have looked at Cocoa and C++ but at the time being it's way too much to learn? Since my experience within software development is quite limited and that RB is easy to learn, has cross-platform support and a simple interface builder, I've decided to try it out for my project.

Anyway, the problems? I wrote a simple Firmata application in RB, kind of a port from the Firmata Processing library, but I have difficulties to make the Arduino respond to my commands.

Is there anyone else that has a setup similar to mine, using Firmata and REALBasic? Perhaps any REALBasic source code I could have a look at?

Any suggestions, ideas, comment are more than welcome!

On my Arduino I'm using the StandardFirmata.pde REALBasic project-file; http://papirkopi.net/rb/Firmata2.rbp (raw, uncommented dirty code) Click for full size