Arduino with more than 5 RGB led's

Hi,

I’ve been busy programming some nice small projects, alhough i’m running in some hardware interface problems.

I want to drive more than 5 RGB led’s, with PWM. I’ve done alot of searching but i couldn’t find any good anwers. Maybe i’m searching for the wrong things?

I’ve found some info about the 74HC595 shift register, but i guess this device is not able to do PWM? Only on or off?

Also i’ve looked into the MAX chips but as far as i can see i can’t control the brightness of the leds individually? Maybe somebody can confirm this?

So that still leaves me with no known options to control multiple rgb led’s from a few pins. Maybe somebody can shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Hi,

I've been busy programming some nice small projects, alhough i'm running in some hardware interface problems.

I want to drive more than 5 RGB led's, with PWM. I've done alot of searching but i couldn't find any good anwers. Maybe i'm searching for the wrong things?

I've found some info about the 74HC595 shift register, but i guess this device is not able to do PWM? Only on or off?

Also i've looked into the MAX chips but as far as i can see i can't control the brightness of the leds individually? Maybe somebody can confirm this?

So that still leaves me with no known options to control multiple rgb led's from a few pins. Maybe somebody can shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance :)

There are ICs design for this, such as http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/tlc5943.html (which will handle 16 LEDs -- or 5 RGB ones), they're serial interface and you can connect a lot of them to your Arduino.

But as far as I know, they're surface mount only.

ok, that should work. To bad that they are smd, also these seem very hard to come by in europe. Any other suggestions?

They have the TLC5940 here in sweden actually, at electrokit.se

Im trying to figure this out myself, but controlling them thru max/msp.

Thanks for the tip. Im planning on placing an order, but im a little bit weary about the SMD soldering; i'm guessing this will be pretty hard, especially with my shaky hands.

BTW: there is some info about the TLC on the arduino playground: http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Learning/TLC5940

I found another intresting tidbit according to the TLC datasheet there is a breadboard compatible version the TLC5490NT. Now to find a reseller in Holland :o