Arduino with old Laptop LCD?

Hello i thought to build an LCD for my flat, where i can display certain data.

First off can i run a big screen like 10 inch with 600x480 resolution and 265RGB, with the latest Arduino board and if not with the upgraded atmega328P?

I searched the forum but can not find something related, the laptop is a 80486 but seems to be a noname ... thanks for some tips to get me started.

No, you can't. Unless you want to use the rest of the laptop as a "controller" for your LCD. (which is actually not all that ridiculous an idea, if the laptop is working at all. A used laptop of that vintage, or for that matter a brand new PDA, may be a cheaper alternative than a new "standard interface" LCD panel bought as a component.)

Thank you very much.

Well so i found out that a big problem is that many companys do not give out the LCD datasheet?

But some at least do, right?

So than i will start now searching and check if i can get the data i need, so that i can make something useful out of it - something like LCD Studio would be so powerfull!

http://www.lcdstudio.com

http://is.gd/iTXx

Well, the big problem is that the arduino doesn't have enough memory to store a 600*480 image. That's about 300k pixels. 256RGB is three bytes for each pixel, or almost a megabyte. The ATmega328 has 32Kbytes of program memory, 2kbytes of ram, and 1k of EEPROM, and even all put together, that isn't enough for one BIT at each pixel location. The ATmega168 has half of that. You can do things with characters, and you can do things with sprites, and you can do things with REALLY BIG PIXELS (32x24 on a screen?), but that didn't sound like what you were after.

("Why yes, the PC graphics card I pulled out of the trash DOES have more memory on it than the entire mainframe I used to use that supported 50+ simultaneous users. Why do you ask?)

(spoiled young whippersnappers!)

lol, it wasn't a Unix Data General MV450 was it? top of the line (a few) years ago, AOS/VS, CLI, CEO, 30 work station patch panel, tape backup .. the size of a refrigerator, used more power than a small town and needed its own room with air conditioner.. but so what, great for hacking when ur a kid ..

and these Arduino things .. spoiled! and they don't need a truck to move them around either!

Hi Westfw, well i got the laptop only, because it was cheap ok :) ++ Im a total Beginner ... So now a few days later i know better - actualy (sadly) its cheaper to buy a 2nd hand LCD than building a Interface and getting a Analog/Digital converter - which said to be cheap on ebay, but seems he stoped selling.

Well my updated plan is now to use the Laptop as a Picture frame, with damn small linux - which i plan to install via PCMCIA.

http://repair4laptop.org/notebook_picture_frame.html

15Eur for a laptop which once cost 32.000 DM! :) I need timetravel

And i take any screen i ordered even some .... waiting

So actualy the 600x480 is even to big for a bot, but it woud be so neat to have such a display on my wall for data ...

Also this is intresting http://www.lcds4less.com/

the size of a refrigerator, used more power than a small town and needed its own room with air conditioner.

A collogue of mine was explaining to his six year old daughter that when he was small a computer was bigger than the whole room. She look wide eyed and said "gosh how big was the keyboard!"

And isnt it possible to power just the 32kbytes on the screen? And maybe this has some nice effects - dimmings?

Might be readable, or impossible?

Or can something be accomplished to swap memory - vmem on a store shield?

And the LCD hardware design as i read was a complicated ugly implimentation for the time it hit the markets. Even the flickers seems to be there for have a plug n play compatibility...

Your data general was just a minicomputer! The one I had in mind was a Decsystem-20, maxed out with 4MWords of memory (36 bits each, so 18Mbytes, sort of.) The big one had over 2Gbytes of disk, too. Each disk was the size of a washing machine, and the main cpu/etc cabinet was about refrigerator height by six times as wide. Not including tape drives.
http://www.columbia.edu/acis/history/cudec20.html

I was serious about running the whole laptop as the display. Similar to your picture frame, you’d boot something like DSL, and have it auto-run a terminal emulator. Minimally, you could then send text to it form the arduino, and do high-res text displays with fancy updating using “escape sequences.” With luck, you could find a graphics terminal emulator that supported line-drawing, downloadable fonts, color, and who knows what else (I’m not immediately aware of such an emulator, but its certainly possible. We had such a terminal (packaged, not PC-based), connected to the dec20…) This way, the PC’s memory would hold the large bitmaps and the arudino would only have to contain info about the particular graphics objects that it wanted to draw.

I'm already doing this exact thing.. bought an asus laptop on ebay for 60 euros... it has a nice 12.1" TFT panel, PII 233, 128M ram. Enough for a stripped down Windows 2000. There's only one USB port, so probably it makes sense to drive the Arduino with the serial port. Too bad the HD is so noisy.. probably I need to spend the whole laptop value for a new HD haha

Too bad the HD is so noisy.. probably I need to spend the whole laptop value for a new HD haha

You may want to replace the hard drive with compact flash and one of these IDE adapters: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19494 Make sure you get the right physical pin layout for your IDE cable

Wel i belive this is possible, but actualy more than song title of a mplayer stream or images is all i want todo. I got another notebook and well actualy i plan to build a robot - so i have to focus.

Just soldered the hex pummer from solarbotics for a start and i think i can solder now :)

But thank you for the input, maybe i do this for someone else or who knws.

Cheers

Thank you for the reply Mem. I looked at that adapters for a CarPC project some years ago, but the price/capacity factor was bad at that time. There's the write cycles problem, seems Windows is able to wear a CF card in less than a month, must use a special read-only IDE driver from XP embedded or use Linux. Unfortunately I already did all the sw optimization on W2K :(

A collogue of mine was explaining to his six year old daughter that when he was small a computer was bigger than the whole room. She look wide eyed and said "gosh how big was the keyboard!"

lol, i seem to remember the keys seemed chunky compared to todays keyboards ... no such thing as a mouse then either of course, what could "it" do that arrow keys couldn't???

Your data general was just a minicomputer!

Yip it came from a small branch, just 300 employee's, most of whom didn't know what a computer was ... we were GODS! who at the press of a chunky key, could decide how much overtime they'd get paid... once the calculations had finished running overnight, and results printed on dot matrix printers inside acoustic chambers, then checked against a manual set of accounts .. twice.

The one I had in mind was a Decsystem-20, maxed out with 4MWords of memory (36 bits each, so 18Mbytes, sort of.) The big one had over 2Gbytes of disk, too. Each disk was the size of a washing machine, and the main cpu/etc cabinet was about refrigerator height by six times as wide. Not including tape drives. http://www.columbia.edu/acis/history/cudec20.html

Some of the guys from DEC started DG .. their design sense is a dead giveaway, shame about that pc thing otherwise they'd still be around = )

You may want to replace the hard drive with compact flash and one of these IDE adapters: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19494 Make sure you get the right physical pin layout for your IDE cable

I have tried that in an old laptop. It worked so-so, but was slow as slow can be... really slow!!

The reason is that the CF card doesn't handle the random read/write that the OS will generate very well.